Special event station: give me your thoughts

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK4YWN, Dec 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fun idea!

Here's my $0.02. Get a 1x1. N4S - Need For Speed. Use the same call for the entire season, issue a different QSL for each location. Printed if you have the cabbage, electronic/printable if you want to be thrifty, or maybe offer an SASE option. Or maybe like AA7EJ says, one card with check boxes, issue at the end of the season. Yeah, that could be a lot of work.

You already know the capabilities of your hauler's HF setup. Publish bands/modes/times here or somewhere. Get a good contest logger if you don't have one. Write a little schpeal about each location, make it a little more than a 59/73/QRZ contact.

Possibilities are endless.

2. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

I have thoughts, but a penny isn't going to cut it these days .

3. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think you can reuse a 1x1 callsign multiple times in 1 year.

4. WE4E

I don't believe there are any such restrictions. I didn't find any in part 97 or on the ARRL website. They're reserved one day at a time, but if the OP knows in advance which days, I don't see anything precluding him from getting those days reserved. A call to ARRL would clear that up I'm sure.

5. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

SE calls can be used more than once a year. You just have to go through one of the five VEC's that manage the SE call signs. Laurel VEC, ARRL VEC, W5YI VEC, W4VEC, and WCARS VEC can all hook you up with SE calls. Just check the calendar on http://www.1x1callsigns.org/

6. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Another point of view - so is "special event" JUST 1X1 call?

I am tempted to ruffle some feathers by "running special event " using my call from my home if I do not get response to my posted inquiry about what was pretty traditional special event commemorating "day of infamy".

7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

If I give you my thots I won't have any left.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All these discussions... When you are not tearing up the tracks, I could have the Corky, AKA w2aat, W5GI Mystery Antenna Marathon....

You know... I just surprised myself with this one.... It could be a special event honoring John, W5GI (SK), who contributed a lot to our hobby...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  9. WE4E

Not at all.

You wouldn't ruffle mine. When you're calling CQ, mention "special event commemorating the 77th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor". I'll answer if I hear ya.

10. KA3CTQ

KA3CTQ Ham Member QRZ Page

A few years ago, I did the card for an event in January. In September, I got cards for contacts in August. All our operations were in January. I sent them back.

Later I got an angry email about why I returned their QSL card. They had the event call in their log on several bands. The op wanted to know if his call was busted or our group was too cheap to send out cards.

I had to let the op know that our group had an event in January and only operated at that time. I sent him the link to the other group and their page on directions on where to send requests.

Two groups used the same call and people did not pay attention enough to send requests to the right event.

KP4SX likes this.