Special event station: give me your thoughts

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK4YWN, Dec 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

I pre-paid for 20 trackdays in 2019. These are training sessions at race tracks. Its an expensive endeavor unless you just happen to be at the right place at the right time with the right pocket-change. Ive ridden motorbikes a long time but only just started going to tracks. I absolutely fell in love and found that i am not as slow as my 48 years might imply.

I have an hf rig in my toy hauler (camper. Caravan. Whatever its called in your culture) and was thinking about running a SE station (commemorating speed or somesuch) and operating from each track. I met a fellow ham this past year and i suppose he would be willing to operate as well.

I would be limited in bands and power because of space/ ac power limitations. Otherwise, i think the whole affair is doable. And qsl cards would certainly be part of the affair.

What say you, ham-at-large? And, any advice for a would-be first timer?

Thanks!

2. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

People love to work special event stations and collect QSL cards. Maybe get a different card made for each track and get a different 1x1 call for each track? Really do whatever you can and feel comfortable doing, you will make a few q's. Have fun with it!

K3EY likes this.
  3. K4YWZ

K4YWZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it's a splendid idea! How great it would be to sit down at the radio some morning and hear a special event station operating from Road Atlanta or Barber or VIR or Mid-Ohio or Watkins Glen.

The only caveat I'd offer is... not to combine operating with riding. Racetracks are as much a mental phenomenon as they are physical. And they demand emotional and psychic time even when a rider is not on the circuit. Trying to combine riding with ham radio - or anything else, really - is a mistake.

W5BIB likes this.
  4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

You may also want to contact W9IMD. He's the QSL manager for W9IMS. the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Amateur Radio Club.W9IMS operates from the Speedway, and often has special events and has QSL cards for those events.

5. KB3LIX

KB3LIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent Idea.

I have done a SE station a few years ago for the National Pike Festival, US Route 40
    My call was N3P.
    You can apply for a 1x1 callsign for temporary use IF you want to apply.
    Process is simple, just fill out a form and send to the ARRL.
    How to apply and the forms are available on the ARRL website.

Had a ball doing the event.

Just make sure the sponsor/owner of the race facility knows of your intention if you
    are going to operate on their property. Most owners will have no problem with
    an event like you propose. It can be good advertising for their facility. Just CYA.

Good luck and good hunting !

6. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Splendiferous idea. You can get Carlisle Tires to pay for the QSLs and make it "Knobby Tire Day".

7. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If not the tire folks, perhaps you could get one of the bike mfr's to fund the cost of cards/certificates and the of mailing them...

This would be a win win situation and you will have lots of fun... goforit:)

8. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Special Events are fun. I have done them multiple times for National Police Week. You will not lack for contacts and if you do a special event QSL card I would recommend that you require a SASE and stick to that requirement for paper QSLs. With the cost of postage you could go broke otherwise :)

9. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I consider Museum Ships Weekend Event sort of special event.
    It used to be billed as "commemorative event", but nowadays it is "limited" to "59 QSL" affair.

Like to go back to "commemorative" ways and have an idea what to commemorate.

What is stopping me ?
    I wonder if I would get reasonable (on the air) responses to present the "special event " purpose and not just end up filling out QSL for 1x1 call anybody can apply for.

The only way to find out is to try it , right?

So how much $ for standard size QSL in small, limited , quantity?

100 cards is too much in my estimate.

I am looking at 20 + "special (mini ) events ", perhaps I could use QSL with "options" to check instead of having single card for each event.

No, I do not want to print them myself, nor looking for "sponsorship".

But IMHO SASE is a must!

73 Shirley

10. WA0MNA

WA0MNA Ham Member QRZ Page

My other hobby has been motorcycle touring and have I been to my share of RR tracks, the coolest road course I have been to is "Road America"four miles of fun in a beautiful setting. Enjoy! Nothing like being "at the track". Great special event info provided.