Speaking of Ripoffs, via SDRPlay

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9HLC, May 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD9HLC

KD9HLC Ham Member QRZ Page

http://www.sdrplay.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3225

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How WOULD the people know they were buying a stolen device? Do you (SDR play) really expect the seller to refund them the purchase price? It would behoove you to help these folks out.

W2PX and KK5JY like this.
  3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Happens more than you think. Offshore manufacturer makes extra units on the DL and they wander out the back door and show up on FleaBay or one of the Asian auction sites. One way to combat this on items that use firmware is to provide code to the manufacturer that will only do a functional test, and not the fully operational code.

4. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Read the manufacturers' post. All this is covered.

5. W4NNF

I read it. It's covered in that if you bought one of these devices in good faith, you're still screwed. It says no more than what's in the post above.

KK5JY likes this.
  6. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1. It answers your first question about how to identify stolen devices.
    2. Whether the unscrupulous vendors will refund ill gotten gains is anyone's guess. The manufacturer states these vendors have refused to cooperate in any way in finding out who stole the devices and that these scalawags are responsible for taking buyers' money.

Looks like your two questions were answered.

7. KD9HLC

KD9HLC Ham Member QRZ Page

What would you like to see SDRPlay do in this case?

8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats a fair question, Lets See...... some one steals my property and sells it.

Do I owe anything to the person that resold the stolen property and now refuses to co-operate and give the info as to how THEY procured the stolen property?

" We will therefore be forwarding on their details to the Police so that they can investigate further...."

Thats what I would do too.

M0REU and KB4QAA like this.
  9. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So you think SDRPlay should provide support for stolen items? They clearly said, they should ask for a refund from the seller. (it was on eBay) They can then take that money and buy a legal supported product.

Without question SDRPlay is in the right here and absolutely should not support stolen products. Doing otherwise would be asinine from a business prospective.

ND6M and KB4QAA like this.
  10. W4NNF

SDR Play is within their rights. But, while not obligated, I'd do something for the people who bought their product in good faith. Yeah, I know, helping these people wouldn't make sense from a business perspective, would it. ;)

KC3BZJ and K1SZO like this.