Speaker Mic Connector/Adapter?

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KB3ZIM, Mar 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KB3ZIM

KB3ZIM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking for something and chose this forum because I didn't know where else to post it! I originally posted this in the General Technical discussion forum, but perhaps it's better for it to be here in the Microphones forum.

I have a pristine Motorola speakermic with a tw0-pin connector plug, one pin being 3.5mm and the other 2.5mm. I believe it's an "M1" Motorola plug. These are a quite common type of plug, BUT, the spacing between the two pins varies depending upon the mic and/or transceiver manufacturer. The Motorola M1 plug's pins are spaced 8mm apart.

I'd like to use this speakermic with some of my HTs that accept two-pin plugs BUT have jacks that require two-pin plugs with 10.5mm spacing between the pins.

Does anyone know of a source (preferable in North America) for this sort of an adapter?

Here's an example of the type of adapter I'm seeking............

[​IMG]
    To be clear, I want the female jack to accept a Motorola M1 plug with 8mm pin spacing, and the male two-pin plug to have 10.5mm spacing. I think, among Icom two-pin plugs, this is the I1 or I2 plug/spin spacing. The one pictured here has just the opposite configuration.

I can find all sorts of adapters that look like this and come close to what I want, but I can't find any that conform exactly to my pin configuration requirements. I didn't think this would be very difficult to find, but apparently it is!

Note: Yes, indeed, I do know that I can buy various parts, cut things apart, and fabricate an adapter that way, so I'll save you the time of composing that sort of an answer because it doesn't address my specific question. Been there, done that...many times...and I just might have to do it again if I can't find what I want. My question is very specific: can anyone tell me where I can find what I need that's prefabricated and ready to purchase? If not, and I end up having to fabricate something, can anyone tell me were to acquire a female jack like that shown above that has 8mm pin spacing? Plugs are easy to find, but jacks? Impossible.

Thanks for any suggestions you can share!

73 de KB3ZIM

2. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, you might have to build the cable yourself.

The male and female connectors you need and the sizes are already enough to worry about without having to worry about spacing.

Why not just leave two free, loose ("dangling") connectors on each end of your cable -- on both ends? Your cable will look like a big "Y" on each end. This way you can adjust the spacing as needed for whatever jacks/plugs you have to mate up with -- and not lose sleep over it.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What model are your HTs ?

Many of them use 3 conductor connectors.

4. KB3ZIM

They are Alinco HT's: DJ-G7T and DJ-29T. Speakermics connect directly via a 4-conductor 3.5mm phone plug. I have adapters that convert the 4-conductor phono plug into the "split" female connector like the one shown in my initial post. Problem is, the spacing between the two female jacks is much narrower on the Motorola plug than it is for most other "2-pin" speakermic plugs. The Motorola speakermic's male plugs won't fit into the 2-pin adapter I already have because the spacing between the two pins is too narrow.

5. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

6. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Just realized you are not all that far away. Hi neighbor. I got to thinking that going right to the source (Klein Electronics) might be a better deal. This looks like it for $10 less, but shipping will cut into that unless you buy a few of them.

http://www.headsetusa.com/kenwood-male-to-motorola-female-adapter/

I found this interesting because I was looking for a better way to adapt the same Motorola 2 pin Jack to a Yaesu VX-8

It is working now with a "Y" cable, but that molded end from Klein has possibilities.

Glenn

7. KB3ZIM

Hello Glenn! Thanks for the message. Sorry for the tardy reply.

Hi Neighbor, indeed! When I saw the alert for your message, I immediately noticed your avatar photo and thought "Gee...that looks like the Pagoda in Reading." I was correct! Ironically, two of my best friends are from your area and I am there often. I spent all of Sunday, May 21 up there, and my best buddy and his wife from Reading were at our house all day yesterday (Memorial Day). Another buddy of mine was born/raised/still lives in Mohton! Small world, eh? Nope...we are not all that far away from each other.

I went to the link you shared. THANKS for the information! That looks ideal. I also use a "Y" cable adapter with my Alinco HTs. It allows me to use an MFJ speakermic that accepts the mic's two-pin male plug and converts it to a single male plug with 4 conductors. It works perfectly. The MFJ speakermic was included with the HT when I bought it (pre-owned). However, the Motorola speakermic is of FAR better quality than the MFJ piece, and since that was given to me by another ham, I have absolutely nothing invested in it. Considering that, buying an adapter from Klein Electronics that works, even with shipping costs added ($29.38 total), would still be less than half the cost of buying the Motorola mic itself! I did some searching and found that the same model of genuine Motorola speakermic sells (new) from anywhere between around $69 to as much as $149!

Update: I found this! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-2-...e16a40d&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=172123530327

I'm not sure about it, but I do spot the word "Klein" moulded into the plug end! Could it be something that would work for MUCH less money? I'm sure going to check!

I appreciate the info! I could probably cut the cable and affix the proper plug, but then again, by the time I spent the money and did that, it may just be easier and as costly to get that adapter. Thank you!

Note: I've accessed some of the FM repeaters in your area from time to time, some I can hit from my home QTH. I also would recommend that you try hitting WGMS repeater 146.985 (PL 100) in Parkesburg. It has a huge footprint (probably best in Chester County). We have people in Berks county hitting it often. We have a net on Thursday nights at 8:30. The repeater owner, Joe, W3GMS, really encourages people to use the repeater. Just FYI if you're interested in that. Key it up any time. There's usually someone there as it 's usually pretty active. I monitor it often.

I'll investigate further and probably buy that adapter. Again, a big note of thanks for sharing the info!

73 de KB3ZIM

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  8. KB3ZIM

I've considered trying that. Agreed and understood, but the spacing of the male plugs on the OEM Motorola mic cable is so close that I have trouble finding two female jacks with bodies narrow enough to fit side-by-side so closely! Thanks.

Last edited: May 30, 2017