SPE Expert Amps

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by K4LRX, Nov 27, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K3PD

K3PD Ham Member QRZ Page

Michael, you still are confused when you state "I've had numerous conversations with Bob Hardie of Expert Ampliers USA." Bob IS NOT EXPERT AMPLIFIERS USA. Bob's company has NO affiliation with "the girls". His company is Expert Linears America. Check out his website.

Bob has told me that he would like to have amps in inventory ready to ship BUT demand exceeds supply from SPE so his standing orders for amps from the factory are already "promised" to those who have given him an order. Bob does not take deposits. You pay him when he has an amp he has checked out and it is ready to ship. Some here are under the impression that Bob only orders what he has "sold." I know this is NOT the case. Again, for those who don't understand, Bob has plenty of capital available. The issue is that world wide DEMAND for SPE amps exceeds SUPPLY. Manufactures refer to this situation as "backlog."

K4TVI hit it right on the mark in some respects. "How can a distributor serve selling a single product line with (3) high priced amps that you cannot get in a reasonable amount of time. Add in the Euro exchange rate floating, you are responsible for the warranty work, and shipping cost." The answer is simple: You gotta LOVE doing it. You can bet the Big Guys had their shot at the line but decided it didn't fit in with their business model. Probably too small a volume, not enough margin, and too much commitment.

Now for full disclosure: I know Bob personally. I've had lunch with him several times. He is a person of the highest integrity and an exceptional technician--especially when it comes to SPE amps. And yes, I'm on the waiting list just like all the others waiting months for "their" amp to arrive. If you ordered before I did you will get your amp before I do. That's Bob. I respect that. K3PD

KJ5Y likes this.
  2. N8MSA

N8MSA Ham Member QRZ Page

I had conversations with Bob during his Expert Amplifiers days, and since. Ask him. Better yet...suggest to him to introduce himself in this thread.

I think you need to read my posts more carefully; stating that Bob, or anyone isn't "well-capitalized" isn't to say that they're insolvent. That he can, as you suggest, now take an order for an amp without pre-payment in full is new information to me and is welcome news (if correct) for North American SPE customers. This hasn't always been the case...

I'm not being critical of Bob, or SPE, but everyone should recognize that buying an SPE today means buying from a smaller business that can't, by their very nature, offer the stability of a larger and that the history of SPE in North America is...interesting. I would still buy an SPE today, and I would buy one from Bob, but I doubt that this is the final chapter in the "SPE In The US" story.

3. K4LRX

K4LRX QRZ Member QRZ Page

Well stated, I plan to check on the progress of the turtle bearing refund checks from the "Lone Star State" around 2;30 today. Stand by for the progress.

4. K4LRX

This afternoon I ventured to the mail box, but before I got there I noticed a large Tortoise in my front yard. On his back was a small "Lone Star State. Flag representing the great state of Texas. Below that was a large plastic baggie containing several envelopes. The Envelope on top had my call letters on it. I slipped around behind the old boy, his head was to the North East and his rear toward the Southwest. In removing the envelope it contained a refund check from SPE Expert. After offering the Tortoise some food and drink he turned his head toward the south, the next check under mine was for K4TVI. Now John apparently it will take the Tortoise a little time to reach Brentwood, TN I assume the Tortoise will take HWY 41 to Nashville, allow him some time to take in some country music and perhaps a visit to the Grand Old Opry. Once in Nashville I am sure he will take the Parkway to Brentwood. By the time he reaches you offer him some food and drink, after all the had a long journey.

The Tortoise left Henderson, Ky around 1 PM, so I am sure by now he is making some progress and may be half way to the county line of Webster and Henderson by midnight.

Now with all humor aside, it is time to put this to bed, at least from my end of things. Money refunded, check received and deposited. Story ends with the exception we may not see this amp until Spring.

KD4MOJ likes this.
  5. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm glad folks appear to be getting their refunds. Hopefully this is but a bump in the road and maybe Bob will step up to the plate and offer the services needed to keep sales alive in the USA. I've had my 2K for over a year now. I put a down payment on it at Dayton and got the amp the following August. I new there was going to be a wait and was fully prepared for that, no problem. It sure it nice to walk into a store and walk out with a nice new Amp, but sometimes that model doesn't work. I know more than one model of high-end cars where there is a significant wait to get the car. The Expert Amp I have is by far the best amp I've ever had in 45 years of hamming. I'm all computerized and I just turn it on and forget it. What ever frequency I turn the rig to, the amp is immediately ready to go full tilt without missing a beat. I can easily control all functions via the computer if I want and even do so REMOTELY!

Good things sometimes take time. You can order yours today and in some time have it, or in some time not have it thinking, "darn, had I ordered that amp I would have it now!"

.............Bob

K2HAT likes this.
  6. K4TVI

K4TVI Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob I ordered my 2K at Dayton on April 15 and understood it arrive in August. It never arrived. Which dealer took your order? I received a check from Rachel for a partial refund with a letter stating a full refund would follow later.

7. K4LRX

See, I told you the tortoise was heading your way!

8. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The story ends when you are sure the check doesn't bounce! :D

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

9. K4LRX

Hope so Doug, about three months with this fiasco!

10. K4TVI

K4TVI Ham Member QRZ Page

This is still an open issue until the full refunds are made. Rachel is doing the right thing and I support her effort to settle these accounts. I think things could have been different if SPE had been able to shipped the amps early summer.