ad: M2Ant-1

SPE Expert Amps

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by K4LRX, Nov 27, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K4LRX

K4LRX QRZ Member QRZ Page

Well, I will be watching the mail box, I have a THP HL 2.5 and have had it for about three years. Great amp, not one bit of trouble. Thing is THP folded up its tent, so when I saw the Expert this caught my eye. I contacted Bob Hardie to see if he can get the amp I paid for is still available. So, far no reply, but I am sure I will hear from him. Looks like about $500 more then when I ordered it from SPE. I just got a TS990, I have an FT5 and FT 2k as well. My original plan was to sell off the 2k, move the Expert in the hole, connect both the 5 k and 990 to the Expert and move my THP to 40 meters. Well, maybe this will be the end of this debacle, let's hope some checks show up tomorrow, or Saturday.

2. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Let's hope this works out. I have an Expert Amp and it's by far the best amp I've ever had. I had a display problem and Rachel put me in touch with KJ5Y and Pat helped me fix the problem. I had a display board that was bad and they shipped me a new one pronto and I was able to replace it no problem. Rachel was very up-front with me and helpful so I'm guessing this was not an easy decision on her part. I'm sure sorry to hear about this as I was considering buying another Expert Amp as I think they are great products!!

Let us know how this works out.

.............Bob

3. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Too bad the Expert Amps factory can not build enough to send to the USA so there is no need to pay in advance and wait, and wait.
    I want to buy merchandise today have it today or tomorrow. ;)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  4. N8MSA

N8MSA Ham Member QRZ Page

The factory has a "cautious" build schedule; they don't keep hundreds of these on the shelf at any given time. The bigger issue is that SPE doesn't have well-capitalized US distributor...

K2HAT likes this.
  5. K4LRX

That is the problem with this one, however I am willing to give them a chance to sell me one of their units. Based on the refund I got from Larkins I placed an order with Bob Hardie. I do have to admit perhaps I was a little harsh with people over this fiasco. Plus waiting an additional four, or five months for the product is indeed a little stressful. Well, hope it is all worth the time and trouble for this unit. You can imagine the stressful situation we were placed under, $3700 dollars out the door and nothing to show for it.

My apologies to Bob Hardy, I suppose I was expecting some answers from anyone regarding this matter and lashed out at some who were not connected with Larkins and White.

The point is people we could only assume with no communications that a scam had taken place, additional legal council saw it that way and suspect it as well. Hopefully, Larkins and White will do as they have stated and that is refund the money. We are awaiting the answer in the mail box by the end of the week.

6. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This must be one heck of an amp!

7. K9GEM

K9GEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can not speak to Frosty's issue other than to say that some people I belong to have had the same issue of orders canceled but no money returned. I think they are going out of business. I ordered mine from Expert Linears America run by Bob Hardie W5UQ. I was told up front that the demand was so hi for the 1.3 that the factory was back ordered about 6 months. Bob told me he would put the order in and not take my monies till he had the product in hand. Now that is the way to run business. By the way he also does the repairs on the units.

8. K4LRX

JOHN, K4TVI NO CHECK TODAY, DID YOU GET YOURS?

9. K0EED

K0EED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been following this thread with great interest. I have thought about maybe ordering one of these amps. I understand that the company in Italy wasn't directly involved with the debacle here in the states but with a clear understanding of what happened and assuming the buyers would still want the item if they got the money back from these women I'd think the company would go out of there way to help these guys. I get that it's not them that created the issue however like it or not these people were representative by default as "authorized dealers" of their equipment.

Either way good amp or not there is enough equipment options out there that this bad pr for the company would make me think they'd do everything in their power to right the wrong. Hope you guys get your money back.

10. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page