ad: Preppcomm-1

Spark Plug Antenna: setup and first try

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K9KMV, Oct 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You mike try some 26g Poly Stealth wire as it has a 25lbs weight rating. What did you feed it with like RG 174u?

K9KMV likes this.
  2. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

si c’est le cas, c’est une bougie d’allumage vraiment coûteuse HI HI

KA0USE likes this.
  3. KD2SXO

KD2SXO Ham Member QRZ Page

I received one as a gift from a buddy of mine a while back. I believe somebody on QRZ was selling them at some point. With my G90, I have had amazing results with that antenna system once I got the wire trimmed and tuned up. I’ve worked all over the US and Europe with mine.

K9KMV and KD2OKK like this.
  4. W4FJT

W4FJT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use one that came in kit form from KM4ACK, similar to this except the toroid and capacitor is mounted on a 3D printed kite winder. Easy 30 minute build, winding the toroid takes some care but the rest is easy. I got similar results to you, the kit included about 68 feet of the 26 gauge polystealth wire and I ended up trimming about a foot and a half to bring it into resonance on 40. 20, 15 and 10 looked good too. I had it running from a 25 foot fiberglass pole sloping down to about 10 feet to our back deck. I made contacts right away with my 705 at 10 watts SSB. Haven't been to the park yet, but that's next.

NE4ME, KA0USE, MD7MUP and 2 others like this.
  5. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

The EFHW antenna can be quite effective - I use one here at home with very good results. In the interest of correctness, the matching transformer is actually a UNUN - UNbalanced-to-UNbalanced rather than BALanced-to-UNbalanced.

But who cares? So long as it works well! :)

N6SPP, MD7MUP, KD2OKK and 1 other person like this.
  6. K9KMV

K9KMV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I was using RG174

7. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Will it improve gas mileage when operating mobile and, if so, what is the recommended gap?

KA0USE and K9KMV like this.
  8. K9KMV

It's design favors Electric Vehicles. No Gap Required.

KA0USE and MD7MUP like this.
  9. K9NUD

K9NUD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this gluten-free? If so, sign me up!

10. K9KMV

I didn't notice any gluten, so...