Spam/Scam email I got from a ham today

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by N9ILS, Apr 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N9ILS

N9ILS Ham Member QRZ Page

I received this email today. Definitely a scam. He even included a family picture attached to the email. Just letting everyone know in case they get the same email.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Enrique.

About more 1 one week time ago, I find you call in QRZ.COM and read you biography, and look photo. Very and very interesting.
    I’m too radio amateur UR5XCW from Ukraine. For me all time big privilege do CW QSO with USA .

Because me very like you nice country and nice nature. But more me like beautiful mountains.

It will be unexpectedly for you Enrique what you will receive my letter.Yes of course I never not doing with you CW WSO.

But life is life. Several days I tried to write you my letter but I hadn’t enough boldness. And I decided to do this today.
    I will thankful to you Enrique if you read this my letter. PLEASE SORRY for my bad English.

My full name is Gennady. I have now 44 yrs old. Yes not old, and not young man. Hi.
    I live in Ukraine city Zhitomir. I am married, my wife name is Lena. We have 3 three girls-daughters.

Oldest Alexandra, Anna, and younger - little Eugenija. We live in the fringe of the city.

This place is not far from forest. And our free time we can walk foot with family.

My wife is able to do it more often than me, because I am busy. My full time I spend in small village-Church.

I am younger pastor-priest in small village, where I can visit and preach the Bible and help for old poor peoples.
    Last time I was finishing the Bible-Seminary. Me very like, what I do, for peoples-soul.

My free time ( but I not have more free time ) I am do CW QSO.

I am radio-amateur from 1986 yrs. Long time I had my CW from collective radio station UB4XWK.

Too from 1991yrs, I have my own call-UR5XCW. But I not have my own transceiver. And sometimes I must go visit to my radio-college.

His have old military from USSR Army old “Receiver-R250”, and I can do my CW. Yes my dream have my own transceiver, but everything depends

on God is will. Life is life.In the past-last-time, I was fond of sport, and I raning 400 meters with barriers.

Dear Enrique.

Here I want write history life about my daughter Anna . I hope you understand me, because we have the common hobby and just because we are

peoples, even so from different countries. I have the interesting situation in my family.

When my-our girl-daughter Anna was born, doctors recognized defect in the highest part of her mouth (defect in the top inside of the

mouth). Girl has strongly defected palate. And have this defect, it is very difficult.

We consulted with doctor, and he said that operation will not be easy. But it is possible to do it.

The one - costs money. For my family it was not little money, because my salary is very and very small.

Last time ago, passed it is enough time, our daughter Anna was made 4-operations.

Thanks our God daughter now live and soul. Presently beside it time of the postoperative-period (the rehabilitation ).

Also my daughter needs for special many calories feeding and vitamins. Yes this was history life my daughter Anna.

I very like to do CW QSO. But I not have my personal own Transceiver TRX.

My dream have my own TRX. I continue to go to my radio collega to do a few CW QSO.

Dear Enrique.

I have a question to you ?? May be do you have old TRX Transceiver??

Which you not use in you radio life. May be you radio friends have old TRX which not used.

It would be wonderful if you answer my request. But everything depends on God is will. Sorry for my disturb and question to you?

I very like CW Morze. Last USSR time I too do visited the city collective radiostation UB4XWK.

After the collapse of the USSR-it was stolen.

And now sometimes I must go to radio collega, and do CW QSO.

Now I will finish my letter. More thanks to you than you read this letter.

There is already attention and respect to me in this.
    My best wishes to you, and all you family.

My God bless you and you good health, and longer years to you life.... 35 + + + yrs old.......................................................

With respect Gennady. Best 73/DX

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a nice one.

You should save it, and forward any attachments to QRZ staff.

I like to see the attachments, but the Text is very funny also.

My email address on QRZ get the same Spam. No big deal for me.

Robots will seek you out.

Have Fun.

3. N9ILS

I thought about packing a box of junk and sending it with a customs declaration of $1500 and let him pay the duty on it. That's what you get for scamming!

4. KB3VWG

KB3VWG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm curious...has anyone actually did this and heard back from a scammer?

Also:

- It may be illegal to import a radio into Ukraine, and given the situation right now, it may not be a wise idea to raise such a question mark, even as a gag
    - Ever wondered about why a radio was specifically being requested?
    - Is there a reason he thought you may have an old/spare radio laying around?
    - you have to have a customs declaration...aside from gagging the scammer, you'd be making a false declaration to CBP...maybe even mail fraud
    - per http://about.usps.com/publications/pub141/ukraine.htm Ukraine customs sends back un-cleared packages; CBP may have alot of questions if they see a box that's supposed to have a radio in it show back up at a port; and you don't care to pick it up
    - lastly, international shipping costs quite a bit, not worth it

5. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

Send a house brick FedEx. collect. I've heard the Nigerian Fraud Squad feel for that a couple of times.

6. ON8CB

ON8CB Ham Member QRZ Page

The callsign UR5XCW is quite active:
    [TABLE]
    [TR="bgcolor: white"]
    [TD]RBN[/TD]
    [TD]DX de RN3A-#: 7029.7 UR5XCW CW 22 dB 20 WPM CQ 0033Z[/TD]
    [TD]2014-04-18 00:33:14[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

and according to HamQTH is assigned to:

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]Krotov Gennady A.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 200"]262000[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 200"]Zhitomir; Ul. Shorsa; 121-143
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 200"]Ukraine[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Did anybody try to get in touch with the guy?

7. N9ILS

I actually did ship some junk circuit boards to him. I labeled them as circuit boards with a value of $1000. Those boards to replace them new would be $1000. They were fried by lightning.

As far as the cost... I didn't care when I shipped it. The price was small to pay compared to the email I hope I get back from him!

As far as CBP.. LOL LOL Those guys don't have authorization to catch a cold right now. If it gets shipped back I will pick it up!

8. ON8CB

ON8CB Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think it is a scam unless the guy scammed the Italian ARI Radio Club of Frascati (IO0FR).
    There is an article on their website: http://www.arifrascati.it/ham-spirit-di-ari-frascati-ur5xcw/

Google Translate: http://translate.google.com/transla...ham-spirit-di-ari-frascati-ur5xcw/&edit-text=

I tried to get in touch with the IO0FR but the email bounced back. I will try via a friend living in Frascati (Rome) to get a mean of communication (paradox for an Amateur Radio Operator to ask a person to proxy the request! HI! HI!)

9. M3KXZ

M3KXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

So what happened to the rig that the radio club in Italy sent him in 2011?

10. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I got this same email from a different ham, in Russia, about 3 months ago. I don't have any reason to believe the messages are coming from the ham they claim they are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.