ad: cq2k-1

Spain Grants Unlicensed Individuals Permission to Use Amateur Stations During Lockdown

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KQ0J, Apr 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

http://www.arrl.org/news/spain-gran...ssion-to-use-amateur-stations-during-lockdown

Spain Grants Unlicensed Individuals Permission to Use Amateur Stations During Lockdown

04/02/2020
    Spain’s International Amateur Radio Union (IARU) member-society URE has obtained temporary permission from the country’s telecommunications regulator for unlicensed people to use amateur stations during the coronavirus lockdown.

“The main objective of the request is to disseminate and promote amateur radio among schoolchildren who must be confined at home,” the announcement from the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Digital Infrastructure said. “This activity offers young people the opportunity to gain practical experience in telecommunications technology, promotes education in technological subjects, and is a socially enriching family activity.”

The temporary authorization would be in place while the state of alert and mandatory confinement measures are in effect in Spain. Non-licensed individuals could operate an amateur station only under the direct supervision of the licensee, under current amateur radio rules and regulations.

2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

"... Non-licensed individuals could operate an amateur station only under the direct supervision of the licensee, under current amateur radio rules and regulations."

Soooo just exactly what is new?

KA2FIR, K4AGO, KD8DWO and 1 other person like this.
  3. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

must not have been allowed to use the equipment even with a licensed ham present before?
    kind of confusing but if an licensed ham is still controlling the equipment then it sounds like a good idea
    eqsecially if this virus wipes out a lot of older hams

KC1MRV and N4FZ like this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

IARU rules require any amateur radio operator to have a license, see ITU‑R M.1544
    The International Amateur Radio Union itself has not Qfficially or Temporarily granted any exceptions to that rule.
    Using it is different than being a licensed amateur, a licensed amateur must be in control under International rules

How to Become a Radio Amateur | IARU
    https://www.iaru.org/amateur-radio/how-to-become-a-radio-amateur

KA2FIR, M0DHA and K3XR like this.
  5. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Seemed a bit confusing to me too... Maybe the ARRL will clarify thats where I found it.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I interpreted the 'news' to mean that an unlicensed person in Spain may now act as a control operator if a licensed EA ham is present.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    K0UO likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The non-licensed can now be control operators. That is, push the button or use the VOX. The ham present need not run the show.

Doesn't make much sense to me either.

If the UNLICENSED could truly operate, then what are their callsigns? You could have a situation as per below...

[​IMG]

M0DHA and K0UO like this.
  8. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe someone else's Spanish is better than mine, but the order seems to say that an unlicensed person in the same household as a licensed ham can use the station under the supervision of the licensed ham. In other words, this is basically the same as what's allowed in the U.S.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Supervision is not as constraining as 'control operator'. Basically this let's non hams be control ops with hams present.

10. N2SNY

N2SNY Ham Member QRZ Page

The non-licensed operator would have to use the call sign of the licensed ham that is with them, I would assume. So, would that not make the licensed ham the "control operator" with the non-licensed just speaking?

K0UO likes this.
  11. GW6CZE

GW6CZE Ham Member QRZ Page

as it has nothing to do with the states why is everyone whinging

KC1MRV likes this.
  12. AA5H

AA5H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly, they are trying to do something positive. It's temporary and helps promote Amateur radio, can't they be provided some latitude under the circumstances?

VK2GD likes this.
  13. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

This is pretty much correct. A look at the Spanish rules (translated to English) shows a prohibition against third party traffic, something specifically allowed in US regulations, and the basis of why we are allowed to let unlicensed people talk on our radios. The Spanish prohibition is this:

3. Radio amateur stations and equipment may be used for the transmission of communications on behalf of third parties only in cases of emergency or disaster

So, any form of third party traffic is generally not allowed. There is another provision in the rules that allows for unlicensed people to talk on ham radio, under direct supervision, and under certain circumstances:

6. Collective stations may be used sporadically for the purpose of disseminating and promoting radio amateurs, by new persons in said activity, under the following conditions:

a) The use of the stations will be limited to demonstrations in educational centers, outreach courses organized by the association that holds the station's authorization and, in general, similar non-profit and short-term events.

b) The use of the stations will be carried out under the responsibility and direct and face-to-face supervision of an authorized radio amateur with at least three years of experience in the practice of radio amateurs.

c) The emissions will be identified by the collective station badge followed, after the suffix, by two or three freely selectable letters.

d) The power of the emissions shall not exceed 40% of the maximum value of power established for the frequency band used, with a maximum limit, in any case, of 100 watts (eirp).

This temporary authorization just grants the above conditions to amateur households to allow other members of the household to use amateur radio while being supervised by a licensed amateur, of that immediate household. It is provided as a means to educate interested parties and promote amateur radio, and is only being allowed under these current exceptional circumstances while being confined at home. Only B, C, and D apply to home stations.

VK2GD likes this.
  14. AA5H

AA5H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that's what I just in the previous post, without the verbosity

15. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

My post was to quote the exact Spanish rule that this new policy is based on, and show the difference between the US rules and Spanish rules in this regard.

KA2FIR likes this.