SouthCARS website at risk?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4XKE, Jun 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4XKE

W4XKE Ham Member QRZ Page

Your connection is not secure

The owner of www.southcars.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

Has anyone else had this problem with SoutCARS? I wonder how the site could be "properly" configured?

2. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Firefox does not trust this site because it uses a certificate that is not valid for www.southcars.com. The certificate is only valid for the following names: *.prod.iad2.secureserver.net, prod.iad2.secureserver.net

Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

What can you do about it?

The issue is most likely with the website, and there is nothing you can do to resolve it. You can notify the website’s administrator about the problem.

3. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

They never configured their SSL site, so they are using a generic wildcard certificate of the hosting company, of which Firefox takes great exception. Firefox is also not wrong, their site is horribly misconfigured.

Don't bother creating an exception, none of their content is on the SSL site.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no problem with that site.

It is not secure, Just like a lot of websites.

So don't give them your banking information.

K8XG likes this.
  5. ND7J

ND7J Ham Member QRZ Page

No need to have SSL in this case.....no bankking, nothing secure...just a site for members to check. Gives basic info about SouthCars.....Not a Classified Gov Site!!

K8XG likes this.
  6. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I've run into the same problem on another web-site.... and it turned out to be caused by a Internet "Security" company / service provider named CLOUDFLARE. They apparently changed their system so that if your browser is set to "Never Remember History" or "Do Not Track" or "Strict" permissions, they will block you from visiting the site..... and send you error messages like "Server Not located".

Various folks have expressed opinions as to why they did this, but it looks to me like they did it to facilitate user data gathering and tracking.

A similar thing occurs here at QRZ: if your settings in Firefox are set to "Strict" and "Never Remember History", you can't log in. The difference here is that while you can't log in, you can still read the forum. On other sites, you can't even get to the site nowadays.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020