source of noise

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM4HGU, Dec 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KM4HGU

KM4HGU Ham Member QRZ Page

I was on 40m, and noticed that the noise level had jumped 2 full S units overnight. It went from 5 to 7.
    Didn't know what was going on. Today I found the culprit. I have 12v track light in the kitchen. One of the lamps burned out, so I replaced it with a new LED lamp. The LED lamp is the source of the noise. So be careful using LED lamps in your house. Some generate lots of RFI. Glad I didn't replace all the lamps with those LEDs.

2. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

And SOME (many?) don't generate any noise at all.
    Try a different brand.
    ;)

3. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

I went with all Cree bulbs, and they are utterly RF silent.

4. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

...also be careful, a brand that was quiet at one point won't necessarily be quiet later... Different manufacturing runs can be different... I found a batch of LED lights that were quiet, and bought 40 of them, they were at the dollar store. I made sure they were all from the same run.

5. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Bet you bought Chi-Com LED's

KA1SHU likes this.
  6. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe, but they were quiet, and still are...

7. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have experimented with the 12v led lights and have found them all to be terrible with noise and interference. The are so bad, if I run one in the garage it will disable my garage door opener. Some ac leds are noisy also. I heard the president say today in a speech that he was bringing back the filament bulb.

8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ve had good experiences with the Home Depot house brand, and with Cree. Almost every light in our house is now LED with no RFI problems. I only bought a few at first to verify. In any case HD will take them back if you don’t like them.

A bonus was that my rural electric co-op helped defray the cost with an energy efficiency rebate program!

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

LACK OF LOGIC.jpg

10. WT4W

WT4W Ham Member QRZ Page

That pretty much guarantees it'll never happen.

Seriously, who in their right mind would want a product that uses 5 times as much energy and has a tenth of the life? Granted, certain cheap made in China brands of LED bulbs produce RFI, I put that on the FCC for not enforcing product standards.