soundcard problems

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by VA3SAX, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. VA3SAX

VA3SAX Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently installed a PCI soundblaster card into my PC since I wanted to be able to do my PSK on that card and run the other system sounds from the onboard card...unfortunately that didn't work. I checked the bios settings but no recognition by windows of the onboard card anymore.

I'm now having problems with that one card for PSK31 whenever it returns from transmit, the waterfall will be a wall of sound as if the gain was up all the way. Turning the sound slider up a touch solves the problem until the next transmit but this is far from ideal since it means I miss the beginning of any response to me.
    does anyone know a remedy for either of the problems I have?

2. AC0H

AC0H Ham Member QRZ Page

What model of SB is it? Did you load the SB drivers?
    I've got an old PCI SB Live that does yoemans service with the digi-modes and don't see anything like your describing.

3. KC2HJN

KC2HJN Ham Member QRZ Page

Without having it in front of me it's hard to say but it sounds like there is a conflict between the two sound cards. See if you can disable the onboard card and see if the problem persists. If so, you know there is a conflict and will now need to see if it is a driver or hardware problem.

As a start you can go into System Info and check to see if it shows any conflicting or problem hardware.

4. K3WRV

K3WRV Guest

I've never done it in Windows, but there's a bunch of stuff on the web that I remember about running two soundcards. It didn't sound that tricky, but there were quirks, IIRC.

I've got a SB-LIVE! in the shack box, and it likes the gain set fairly low, if I remember, and periodically somethign screws up the settings. I keep all system sounds turned OFF when running digital

5. W4INF

W4INF Ham Member QRZ Page

What interface are you using please?

6. VA3SAX

not sure which version of SB it is...but all the drivers seem to be good. The interface is completely homebrew and has never had any problems before this. definitely no resource conflicts. the onboard card ceases to exist according to windoze once the extra is installed

7. KC2PCF

KC2PCF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Steven
    I had the same problem, on board sound disappeared, when I installed the SB Live 24 PCI card in my Compaq.
    I had to uninstall the SB...
    Reboot, go into the BIOS
    Change the on board sound option FROM "auto" to "ON"
    Install SB, reboot...No problems since.

With the BIOS setting of auto, when another sound card is detected the BIOS will turn off the on board sound AND remove the settings option from the menu.

Bill

8. VA3SAX

Thanks for the suggestion bill...gave it a try; but unfortunately it hasn't changed anything for my motherboard.

EDIT(to avoid double posting):

I gave the PSK a try using HRD just to see if maybe digipan was doing something strange...and low and behold it seems that it is something strange with digipan. The card seems to work just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.