ad: Schulman-1

Sound Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by K7GQ, Jul 29, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I've experienced some unusual failures recently with an iMic, a 2013 iMac (14,1) and OS X 10.11.6. I've attributed this to the failure of the iMic itself and recently replaced it with another which appears to behave about the same.

Basically, digital modes will work as normal and for weeks, then suddenly the receive waterfall shows no signals but lots of "strange" patterns and/or there will be insufficient audio to drive VOX into transmit (or to hold it there). Occasionally, a reboot may get things working again, but not for long.

Appreciate your thoughts and/or recommendations ...

Aloha from Kona

Harry

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

There have been a lot of strange audio issues with El Capitan affecting much more than the amateur radio hobby. I addressed a bit of hit here: http://www.machamradio.com/blog/2016/4/20-fldigi-wjst-x-and-el-capitan-audio-issues

You didn't say what kind of interface you're using for your sound connection to the rig, but assuming you're using an USB sound device, there are several things you can try that are mentioned in the post above.

3. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

http://www.machamradio.com/blog/2016/4/20-fldigi-wjst-x-and-el-capitan-audio-issues

Interesting reading in the link above - thanks. Here, fldigi does causes the issuance of the deprecation messages while cocoaModem does not. I can find no USB messages of any sort in the system log. I had a feeling that this OS version had something to do with my problem - I'll try some of the things in the link.

-------> iMic

4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

My thoughts are frequently unsound.

Steve
    KV6O

5. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Ahh, I read over that so quickly in your original post as "iMac" for some reason.

The most reliable USB audio I've found was that provided over a Thunderbolt Dock that I purchased. It included a USB Audio device in the dock and it never hiccuped; not once. That's an expensive proposition, however.

I have seen some external USB devices get their sound levels reset in the Sound Preferences pane; recording and playback levels muted and the such; usually when a program selects the wrong input and/or output.

6. K3JRZ

K3JRZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Also check for newer software if you're using FLDIGI or WSJT-X. I know with WSJT-X they're going to release an open alpha version of 1.7.0 developer. I have an earlier version of 1.7.0 developer and it did fix issues with my iMac & Mac OS X 10.11.x.