ad: QSKLLC-1

SOTABEAMS

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by W7CJD, Dec 11, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

those plastic screw anchors are great for sandy soil. I've got a few of them that I got at my local Beach Store for ~$8. They don't do so well on hard soils however.

2. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have considered the fishingrod spike I have seen fishermen use when fishing for stripers at the beach.

The only one I have found, so far, is a plastic tube with an angled point.

However, some beach umbrella anchors have metal spikes that should do well in dirt.

Looking around Amazon, I found..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  3. W7CJD

This one could be DIY.

It appears to be angle iron.

I would use an angle of aluminum.

I would have a step to push it in with my foot, instead.

Attached Files:

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

One way to conquer the , "what should I use to hold up my portable mast" equation is in the form of a very lightweight folding tripod arrangement directly attached to the telescopic portable pole itself.

These extremely lightweight folding tripods are the same ones used on portable Coleman lantern stands like this one.

[​IMG]

I have removed it and attached it to a 20ft long telescopic painters pole instead.

The feet of this tripod has holes to accommodate tent stakes.

It is held securely in the ground using 3 _ 10" long tent stakes.

[​IMG]

Tripod deployed..

[​IMG]

Tripod retracted...

[​IMG]

Clearly a lightweight tripod directly attached to the pole has several advantages for portable work.

I am using 3 heavy duty tent stakes like these :

[​IMG]

Below: Ready for an enjoyable day of operating qrp.
    Hey, wait a minute... where's the food and my cooler!? :)

[​IMG]

5. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Forgot to use the CHECKLIST, didn't ya!

Regards,
    -Bruce
    KA1NOS

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. KC8VWM

The required plastic laminated checklist.

<Sigh>

I think I left it inside the cooler.

KU4X likes this.
  7. W7CJD

KC8WVM,

Not one of those images appear in the thread.

I wouldn't think a Coleman lantern stand tripod would stand up to wind or stand on rough ground.

If guylines are required, the pole may as well sit against the ground.

I think it is enough to carry the pole, guylines and stakes.

Most people use a velcro strap, to secure the pole to an existing fence post.

I much prefer an antenna in a tree.

8. W7CJD

<double post>

9. KC8VWM

No idea why the photos didn't appear earlier. I have used this tripod to support the antenna seen below and it has stood up in many instances of fierce / gusty winds during many storms over the years I have had it.

Additionally, there's many situations when trees are not available ( think Field Day / Hamfest parking lot etc.) and that's why you you would need to use a telescopic pole. Securing against fence posts is great if they are available, but that may not always be an option depending where you are operating.

The objective here is to use the tripod to hold up the telescopic pole in situations where no other options are readily available. I will let these photos speak for themselves.

Coleman lantern stand and tripod.

[​IMG]

Tripod removed and attached to 20' tall painters extension pole instead:

[​IMG]

This photo features the Yo Yo antenna seen in another qrp corner thread.

Antenna closeup photo:

[​IMG]

Painters pole held to the ground using the folding tripod with 3 ten inch 10 stakes. The "Yo Yo" inverted V is attached. Ends of the antenna are also staked into the ground and serve as extra support. The antenna itself also serves as a guying system of sorts for the pole. This pole and antenna arrangement is not going to have any problem whatsoever staying up, even in high winds. I know this because it has been subjected to such environments many times before.

[​IMG]

Antenna rope from inverted V staked into the ground on both sides of the antenna.

[​IMG]

Tripod Opened...

[​IMG]

Tripod Closed....

[​IMG]

20' telescopic pole with "lightweight" portable folding tripod attached ready for transport..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  10. W7CJD

I guess "pocket QRP" is a trend.

UL DX kevlar (aramid) antenna wire, Pico Traps, if you like, and, center insulator and end insulators you could easily lose.

I still haven't sent for the Pico Traps.

I got this small stuff is for "Pocket QRP" or QRPp.

It will handle more.

The newest added SOTABEAMS Pico Tuner will handle 10 watts.

The other SOTABEAMS tuners handle

This kit tuner is for a one band End Fed Half Wave antenna, that can be adjusted for 7MHz - 30 MHz.

The Description adds:

"While the Pico Tuner is designed as a single-band tuner, multi-banding is possible. I did the math and 12m-10m, 15m-12m, 17m-15m look possible (trimmer in parallel with 100pF). If you dont install the 100pF capacitor (or use a lower value padding capacitor) other possibilities arise.

I have also included a second set of SMD capacitor pads on the Pico Tuner which would allow experimenters to install additional padding capacitance to allow the use of bands lower than 7 MHz. Bear in mind that in such cases, the tuning range will be reduced".

Is this fun, or what!

image.png