SOTABEAMS

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by W7CJD, Dec 11, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone used SOTABEAMS equipment?

If you have, please share your experiences with set up, with bandwidth (any antenna analyzer display or software pics?), and any comments you may have.

and.. Do you have a go-box or a go-bag?

2. W7CJD

I'll start.

"Invisible" Antenna Hardware
    DX-WIRE Ultralight UL (Kevlar)

Here is a review, with information about working with the the Kevlar strands and the shielding in this antenna wire.
    http://mw1cfnradio.blogspot.com/2014/08/kevlar-antenna-wire-as-good-as-it-seems.html?m=1

Nevada Kevlar in UK has other selections of Kevlar wire.
    http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/antenna-accessories/antenna-wire/

I have a Racal Clansman Kevlar antenna wire on a kite winder marked in 25cm lengths every metre, every 5 metres and every 10 metres that is quite heavy-duty.

I might stay with the thin Kevlar antenna wire for a Skywire antenna, my original intention: 80' on a side wire droops and, if heavy, stretches.

I also think I will have doublet antennas, utilizing the Open Wire Line Spacers and the Doublet Dipole Center Insularor, as this Kevlar wire seems better suited to a balanced wire antenna design.

I purchased the DX-WIRE Ultralight UL (Kevlar) with Pico Traps Kit in mind.

I have never had a trap dipole antenna.

I still do not.

I would have to place that order another time.

3. M0DNI

M0DNI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a SOTABEAM 2m & 70cm with a SOTAPOLE (Fishing Rod?) and SOTA MONOBANDER for 20m. His stuff is homemade but works really well.

4. W7CJD

Is the 20 meter a halfwave dipole and balun?

I am not familiar with SOTABEAM 2m & 70cm.

Is it this?

Attached Files:

5. M0DNI

Its a dipole

KK4NSF likes this.
  6. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

That's not a bad looking system at all! It looks like it is easy to put up, light, and easy to transport. The only downside I can see to it is that it does require a relatively large area.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  7. M0DNI

Yes it does take up quite a large area when setup, they sell a quad band version now. I found the performance very good for what is essentially some wire and string :D on a fishing rod!

8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried constructing a similar portable antenna arrangement but it started to become a mechanical complexity issue.

The gain achieved isn't worth the added headaches for portable use in my opinion. "Gain" can often be achieved in other ways such as improving height above ground and placement of the antenna. I find a full sized rotatable dipole is quite sufficient. It can be rotated to maximize signals and it will exhibit nulls that are useful. A one element yagi if you will. :)

Pictures? ok...

[​IMG]

W8ZNX likes this.
  9. M0DNI

That is a nice setup, the HF dipole from sotabeams is basically just some wire, so not good for permanent installation. I'm looking at making my own 80m Dipole but is going to have to be 1/2 or even 1/4 wave for space.

But I really like dipole antennas for HF, easy to make :) easy to tune, only problem is the space they take up.

10. W7CJD

I have considered a 6m or 10m dipole.

I think a 6m or 10m vertical would be more easily concealed, in town, and if collapsible, more portable.

I have considered a trap dipole for 6m & 10m made with SOTABEAMS UL DX kevlar reinforced wire and SOTABEAMS Pico Traps.

KC8VWM makes his own hexbeams, as well, he has shown in the other part of the forum: Antennas, Feedlines, Towers, Rotors.
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?forums/antennas-feedlines-towers-rotors.33/

What does that SOTABEAM 2m & 70cm, you mentioned, look like?

I have been using lightweight wire for portable QRP and .030 welding wire or 14 AWG wire at the QTH.

More recently, I have sent for collapsible fiberglass poles for SOTABEAMS lightweight kevlar (aramid) reinforced wire, for the QTH.

The idea got started because I have seen fiberglass poles with decorative banners, of stripes and butterflys etc. at private homes.

The neighbors next to me have an entire city lot side yard with playsets for their grandchildren.

I thought, why not have a "flag mast" pulley and "rope" of lightweight materials to optomize the height of my antennas and have a small colorful streamer or the like on that mast.

This would make my antenna wires appear to be guylines for the decorative.

I have also considered the SOTABEAMS pico traps utilized with the UL DX kevlar wire, althought I have never had a trap antenna.

Here is one mast support.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014...and+anchor&dpPl=1&dpID=516NCaaovaL&ref=plSrch

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015