ad: wmr-1

SOTA activation in Kentucky - Pine Mountain - A QRP Adventure

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4ALF, Mar 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC1GZG

KC1GZG Ham Member QRZ Page

Outstanding video, thanks for taking the time to document. Combining some healthy outdoor activity with a fun hobby- what could be better?

2. W4ALF

W4ALF Ham Member QRZ Page

Tnx. Working portable is a fun past time and it doesn't have to be up a mountain either, local park or backyard is FB too! de w4alf

N9PBD likes this.
  3. AC8MA

AC8MA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Having family living very close to Pine Mountain, in addition to the ticks, I would worry about the copperheads and rattlesnakes. Very nice activation for SOTA.

KK5R likes this.
  4. KC1GZG

KC1GZG Ham Member QRZ Page

I picked up a used FT-817 last month, so far I've been too much of a weenie to get outside in our fine Berkshire weather. I did make one QRP contact from my hotel room so far. Looking forward to spring!

5. N4ADK

N4ADK Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice! That's some decent elevation. Definitely plenty of time for radio when split up into an overnighter.

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Operating outside with a portable radio setup is one of my favorite things to do.

Oh sure, I can always stay at home, spin the Yagi, turn on the amplifier, press the foot pedal and talk into a studio microphone at home, but there's something far more challenging and fun about taking an entirely self contained amateur radio station stuffed inside a Pelican case and throwing a wire over a tree branch in the outdoors.

W4POT, KK5R and US7IGN like this.
  7. W4FJT

W4FJT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the video, I really enjoy this type of work.

The iphone or other smartphones can actually do great video, the cameras have evolved over the years. Landscape video, to match the typical HD flat screen or computer monitor is just as close as holding the phone horizontally instead of vertically. I use a simple handle to hold mine, there are many examples on Amazon; ie. https://www.amazon.com/Fantaseal-Er...&qid=1521111155&sr=8-4&keywords=iphone+handle

8. KA0SOH

KA0SOH Ham Member QRZ Page

Watched the video, great stuff. Thanks. Back in the day I did this all the time. Not being able to do it now watching you do it has to be better than not being a part.

9. KE4ZDJ

KE4ZDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I live on the north slope of Pine Mountain and have hiked the entire trail a couple of times. I operate portable from the trail several times a year but have never done it through SOTA. If you are ever back this way or if anyone needs info about the area feel free to contact me.

10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd much rather camp overnight in bear country than hike amongst the animals of just about any inner-city in the U.S.

KK5R and VK2JI like this.
  11. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the way to do it! You have to have a lightweight rig if you're going overnight (unless you like to hump unneeded extra weight). A light radio that doesn't draw a lot of current on receive and a light battery is essential. Also, having a tuned antenna so you're not having to carry a tuner around helps. Ounces count when you're hiking long distances for days and there's only so much space in your pack for equipment. Keep the videos coming.

KK5R and KC8VWM like this.