ad: UR5CDX-1

Sorting data in Excel

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N3DT, Oct 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W9YAP

W9YAP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you including the (frozen) Header row to dictate the column of values you want to sort by?

2. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I know about the column thing. But what it ended up being was some web page data that did not copy/paste into Excel correctly. But I could import it with the import wizard. Then it worked. The numbers copied/pasted from the web page into Excel were not 'numbers', I really don't know what they were, hence the problem with not being able to use the 'numbers' in formulas. Excel is not like some of those old programs you could 'reveal codes'. Or at least I don't know how to 'reveal codes' in Excel.

3. W9YAP

W9YAP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you analyzed individual cell properties to see if they are protected or locked under another formatting?
    Are there any colored triangles in the upper right corners of the cells in question?

4. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I did try unlocking things and there were no warnings. Anyhow I figured out how to avoid it. Much easier just to import it right the first time than to worry about the formatting and try to straighten it out.

5. KT5WB

KT5WB Ham Member QRZ Page

On the Data tab the "Text to Columns" function is the best thing for converting text data into numbers.