Soon to be licensed - Radio Question

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by NG7E, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC7DRI

KC7DRI Ham Member QRZ Page

Waiting on your first license is always rough, I hope you get it soon. At least when you do upgrade to extra, you can use the new privileges as soon as you have the CSCE in your hands.

2. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Soontobelicensed,

I think you made a great choice in the 706mk2g. This opens the possibilities of things you can do with your license. HF can be a blast, but then again so can VHF and UHF - and I'm not talking FM repeaters. 6 meters has some great openings. There are satellites, Meteor Scatter, VHF contesting, and plenty more. Digital modes can be fun on the HF bands. With a sound card interface such as a rigblaster, you can try out many modes which are only a download away. Then of course, if you choose, there is my favorite mode, CW. Congratulations on your passing the General and welcome to this great hobby!

3. NG7E

NG7E Ham Member QRZ Page

KB2FCV... i wish i could say the 706mk2G is mine, but, it is being loaned to me by a fellow ham operator for about 2 months. Fred, the fellow ham operator, has been very nice about educating me on what i need, don't need. He's been generous too in that he's given me about 50' of coax, and an antenna tuner from MFJ 949C. So, now, i just need to get my wire up and he'll come over, tune/match it and leave the radio here for a while.

I already have my heart set on the Yaesu FT-950.

Fred mind you is all HF, while i have met another person named Greg that is all VHF. So, i have 2 folks on both sides to the coin full of great information.

4. NG7E

NG7E Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW... does anyone have a direct line to the FCC? I need to call them and have they hurry up and get my license into the database.

5. KC7DRI

KC7DRI Ham Member QRZ Page

Even if you could call them, you can't say anything that would speed it up. Think it typically takes about 7-10 days for it to show up in the ULS system on the FCC site.

6. NG7E

NG7E Ham Member QRZ Page

you mean we can't send them a basket of flowers or like $20k, or a plane ticket to Cancun?//

7. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

8. NG7E

NG7E Ham Member QRZ Page

KC0rey, thanks... great link. Still watching... maybe tomorrow will be my lucky day.

9. K1WMB

K1WMB Ham Member QRZ Page

10. NG7E

NG7E Ham Member QRZ Page

yup... visited that too. I have to be calm, and just wait it out. Hey.. i don't have a radio, so, what's the rush, right?//

i guess i just want to be able to have that new shiny callsign.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.