Soon to be licensed - Radio Question

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by NG7E, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. NG7E

NG7E Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeff... very excited. Although i had wanted to become an amateur radio operator, i thought it was too hard. But, this week on Tuesday, i was on my way back from the gym, and had always been going by this gentleman's house that has a nice array of ham antennas. Since i'd been wanting to put up a tower for a CB beam, i figured i'd ask him what the city requirements might be. I arrived at "Fred's" house only to find him pruning his roses. I wasn't sure what to expect, but i asked anyway. After about 5 minutes, he asked if i wanted to come inside and see his "shack", "sure, why not" i responded.

After seeing his setup, i was hooked, but not convinced i could get it done. What pushed me over the edge was Fred's comment, "what are you doing over there on CB, come over to our side, it is easier now as there is no code to test for". That was it, i was convinced i could do it, so on Wednesday i started to study. After reading and reviewing the tests, i figure worst cause is i fail the technician and i'll have 2 weeks to study better. Well... after getting a passing score on qrz's 10 technician exam, i figured i'm ready.

As i read more on licencing,i found that i could test for the general class IF i passed the technician, so on Thursday i started studying for general. I was scared... and today, Friday, i passed both.

SO... now, on to extra. That's probably going to be either one month away or towards the begining of 2010.

Good luck to you!

2. K7AAR

K7AAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations, you done well. I bet you will sleep well tonight.Did you go over to Fred's yet?

3. NG7E

NG7E Ham Member QRZ Page

K7AAR, no, not yet. I have to go pick up an 80 foot tower that i bought on Saturday. It's a 1.5hr drive, but it's worth it. After that, i'm swinging by Fred's and let him know. I'd love to hear him talk on the radio, just to start getting the lingo.

4. K5KGB

K5KGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations. Sounds like you are well on your way.

And you may have found you an elmer as well.

Good job. Don't wear out the FCC ULS search page in the meantime! ;)

5. NG7E

NG7E Ham Member QRZ Page

are we there yet??? are we there yet//?

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I started on HF CW on 80 Meters in 1961, and worked my way up the HF spectrum. For VHF, I Got on 6M AM in the mid 60's, 2M FM in the early 70's and 70CM in the 80's.
    I have used a variety of gear including GE, RCA and Motorola for FM, Hallicrafters, Johnson, Kenwood for HF work.

Put most of your effort into good , high antennas and Quality feedlinle if you want to get a good signal out on the VHF/UHF bands. Then with what's left in your budget, buy a good radio.:D

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  7. NG7E

NG7E Ham Member QRZ Page

JD... very well said. Yesterday i ordered my power supply for the icom706mk2G that Fred, local, here is going to let me borrow for a while. I'm going shortly to get some wire so as to make a wire antenna. I love to build, but with antenna's, i feel like a fish out of water.

Next weekend, we have a local fest here, so, maybe i get lucky and find a used radio. I'm definitely keeping an eye out for older gear. No sense in paying full price when there is great gear out there.

8. KL7JEF

KL7JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

Anything come up in the ULS Database for you? I am now waiting on mine as well.

J

9. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good luck on eliminating your landlord! That can't hurt.

It's really not a good idea to have a tower tall enough to hit your neighbor's house, though I have seen people do it many times. If that power line if 60 feet away, I'd look at 50 feet for the tower and whatever mast you put on it.

There is quite a difference in performance between 30 feet and 50 feet, and also a big difference between 50 and 70 feet. When the higher bands start opening up again on a regular basis, a beam 30 feet off the ground will be capable of worldwide DX on 15 and 10 meters. But on 20 meters, 30 feet is marginal.

Just like radios, everybody has a favorite brand of antenna. For low cost, low weight, and decent performance, I like Cushcraft. Their A3 tribander is a decent but not spectacular performer. The M2 KT-34 is a better performer, but much heavier and a challenge to assemble. The SteppIR is probably the ultimate, and priced accordingly. Also, log periodic arrays are becoming more popular.

10. NG7E

NG7E Ham Member QRZ Page

nothing in the database.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.