Soon to be licensed - Radio Question

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by NG7E, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. NG7E

NG7E Ham Member QRZ Page

right on. Well.. hopefully soon i too will be on the airwaves.

2. KDOHDH

KDOHDH Guest

Good luck on the test! Getting my ham license was one of the best things I've done in a while. I've only been licensed since March but I am having loads of fun learning about the hobby, joined a club and met a bunch of nice people who really want to help out new hams. I came from a CB background as well, heck when I was a kid, I didn't even know what ham radio was! Everybody used CBs there, of course it wasn't as rowdy as it is today! I'm working on getting my General Class as soon as I can learn ther material, want to try out HF some!

3. NG7E

NG7E Ham Member QRZ Page

KD0HDH, thanks for the support. Today is the big day for me. One problem i face is that i'm working during the time of test, but since i work from home, i have a ton of freedom, until i get a page, then i have to respond within like 10 minutes. So, that being said, i should be able to get in, take the test and maybe the general too, then get back out for work.

Yeah, CB was fun back then, like 25 years ago, i remember working on my own quad antenna, and bringing it down on my own. That was tough, had to have good shoe's, but almost every time, the antenna came down smoothly.

Now, it's on to bigger and betting things, towers, array's of antennas, multiple radios, etc. This should be something even more enjoyable for me.

I've already started listening to some 2m, and 6m on my Bearcat scanner and i'm having a blast just listening. The range is limited, but hey, it's a start.

What kinda radio are you sending signals on???

4. KL7JEF

KL7JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck with your test, try not to go through too fast, you might misread the answer. They like to mix them up a bit. Once your lady sees how easy it is, she might reconsider. Well again, good luck to you.

Jeff

5. NG7E

NG7E Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeff... thanks a bunch. I'm sure she'll come around a bit later and see how much fun it is.

6. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We all tend to focus on the radios, but in reality, it's the antennas that make things go in this hobby.

All the 'entry' rigs offer fairly similar features and performance. It becomes more a matter of personal preference. You would not be the first person to buy the radio with the best specs only to find that you hate the ergonomics. Before laying out big bux, if at all possible visit one or more ham dealers and see what's there. An even better idea is to get to know some of the locals and see what they have.

If you can put up an 80 foot tower at a rental unit, you are a very lucky person. How are you going to anchor it? Is the landlord going to let you pour a concrete block? Towers are wonderful, but by all means, only do it safely! We've lost too many hams already to tower issues.

With that tower, it should be easy to get an effective antenna for any band. Without it, things get a bit more tricky.

7. NG7E

NG7E Ham Member QRZ Page

well guys.... tonight was a good night. I am now a General Class Amateur operator. Now, i just wait for my call signs in database and i'm off.

8. NG7E

NG7E Ham Member QRZ Page

K0RGR... this issue with the landlord is an easy one, we've talked to him about buying the house and he's talking with his accountant. If all goes well, then i won't have a landlord and i can get the antenna in the air. I do have electrical wires about 60 feet away, so, the new tower i'm getting will only be able to go up about 20-30 feet of it's total 80 feet. But, that's ok, it's a start.

I am focused also on the antenna, but what makes it difficult is that i'm not that familiar with the brands on the amateur side. And maybe brands aren't important, i just need to find a good site that has options for antennas.

9. KL7JEF

KL7JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Done!!! I bet that's a big load off your shoulders. Was it exactly as you thought it would be? It looks like I'm taking all 3 test's Tuesday 15Sep. Let me know how long it takes for your call-sign to appear in the ULS Database. Are you going to go for Extra? If so, how long are you going to wait before you sit that one?

Jeff

10. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations Soon! Just start watching the database. check it everyday until you see your name. It should only take a few days. Week tops!

Good luck to you too Jeff.

I hope to work both of you in the near future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.