Sometimes rig control works, sometimes it does not.

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by W3ATV, Jul 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok- I have been living with this issue for 5 years, and just wondering if anyone has a solution. This occurred with my 7300, and now my 7610. This also occurred with my 2009 iMac, and now my new 2019 iMac. I lived with it all this time thinking it was my old computer, but I have the same exact issue with my new machine.

This is intermittent, probably occurring about 50% of the time.
    I turn on my radio, then boot up, and I get 0.000 000 on the frequency display. Basically no rig control.
    The waterfall still works, and I still get decodes, but no TX or FREQ readout.

I then close the software, turn off the power supply to the rig, wait 30 seconds, turn the rig on, wait 10 seconds, then start WSJT-X, and again, it may, or may not connect. Sometimes I have to do this 5 or 6 times to get it to work.

Other times I will go through this sequence and it will work correctly with no issues, working the very first time. Other days I have to restart everything, multiple times to get it going.

I have found that leaving the PS on, and just using the power button on the rig helps, but again, not all the time. I have tried a different order of powering things on, but again, it is hit or miss.

Any ideas????

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Does this happen with any other software other than WSJT-X? Do you have any other software running and trying to access the port? Only one program at a time can access the same port on the Mac. Are you using the latest drivers from SILabs? Have you tried changing USB cables (they do fail on occasion). Way out in left field would be whether your power supply is providing enough power to the rig?

Lots of questions to answer, I know, but this will help get your issue narrowed down somewhat.

W3ATV likes this.
  3. W3ATV

Thanks for responding Dave. You have helped me out in the past and I know you are the Mac guru!

I don't have any other ham radio software trying to access the USB port. I don't think I have any generic software trying to access the port either. If I do, I am unaware of it.

I DO HAVE a USB SD card reader, but have unplugged that, and it still does it.

On my old machine, and my new machine, I run multiple monitors. Could this cause a conflict? My new machine has two USB-C ports and I have a monitor plugged into each.

WSJT-X on one monitor, Grid Tracker on monitor two, and QRZ/Web browser on the main iMac monitor.

I only use this machine for ham radio, web browsing, and zoom meetings. There is no other software installed as almost everything I do is cloud based/google software.

4. DL2RUM

DL2RUM Ham Member QRZ Page

No idea for the IC-7300, but please note the IC-7610 creates two com ports. The name of the ports may change every power up/power down cycle.
    Otherwise, WSJT should complain any CAT problems.

W3ATV likes this.
  5. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yes, this is very important and affects all of the SILabs COM ports. If you reboot your Mac, power down the rig (not just shut it down on the front panel), or in any other way force macOS to reestablish connection with the 7300, you can expect the actual COM port identifier to change. There are some solutions out there to create a dummy port that maps to the ever-changing port on the 7300/7610/SILabs device but there are not implemented in WSJT-X. An explanation of one such solution is provided HERE. I suffer from the same issue with my TS-890S.

6. W3ATV

Ok- so I downloaded 7610discovery. This morning I turned on my rig and sure enough, it did not connect properly. I ran the app and what I saw appears below.

My setting for CI-V was the same as the path statement for FSK data. I changed it in WSJT-X to /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART1 and it connected. Much faster than having to turn the rig on and off multiple times, and having to restart WSJT-X multiple times.

So I am clear on this, every time I do a cold boot of the 7610 ,it assigns a random setting for the USB ports and I have no control over this? Sometimes I will be lucky and it will be the same as the settings in WSJT-X, and other times it will not?

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 7.00.06 AM.png

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  7. K3DCW

If you remove power to the 7610 (actually remove power -- the power switch on the front of the rig really puts it into a "standby" mode) or reboot your Mac, then yes, you'll likely have to do this.

It is not a problem with the ham radio software, it is simply the nature of the SILabs driver on macOS. Fldigi suffers from this same issue, RUMlogNG does, and WSJT-X does. The only program I've seen that deals with this automatically is MacLoggerDX which incorporates a dummy link to represent the SILabs chip much like 7610discovery can detect but appears to work on all makes (Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom) that uses the SILabs chips. I'm not sure if Don used Chen's freely provided code, but it does work well.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    W3ATV likes this.
  8. W3ATV

Thanks for all of the advice. At least I have a quicker work around than what I have been doing and know exactly what to do if it occurs.

I will be giving WSJT-X a workout today during the CQ VHF contest. 6M seems to be opening up. Hopefully we will have a good opening this weekend. The last few weeks have been great on 6 meters.

Thanks again and 73!
    Jim

9. DL2RUM

DL2RUM Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, pse do not blame RUMlog. :) RUMlog uses the Auto Discovery feature from Chen. It selects the correct port without any further action, no symbolic link required.

K3DCW likes this.
  10. K3DCW

Tom, definitely not blaming RUMlog for anything. It's a great program and I didn't realize that you had incorporated the AutoDiscovery feature. That's good to know! Is that just for the 7610 or all SILabs devices?