ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Something For Nothing

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KG4JMW

KG4JMW QRZ Member QRZ Page

You know guys, I understand what he is saying about people being picky and wanting everything handed to them, but I also understand that some people try hard and work hard every day and like my self as I post this using my $199.00 junk computer that I saved 3 years to purchase, and I talk on my old Alinco DTR 110T that I have to turn the lights out to see the display, Would like to ask the old timers that have extra equipment in the attic or the shed "hey could I buy that cheap?" "Less than a hundred bucks" from you. We are treated like dirt because we ask, kinda like poor white/brown what ever trash. I gave up asking after being told " ham radio is not a cheap hobby maybe I should try something else".

You know what? I maybe poor but I am just as good a ham as you are, I will be there when needed. Why not take that old beat up radio and sell it cheap "less than a hundred bucks" to a new guy.

I lnow that if I ever get more than just this one radio "and god knows I would love to have some more equipment" I will pass this one on to the new guy, probably for $25.00 or $50.00 bucks.

What I am saying is NO! they should not be picky, but please keep in mind that not all of us are,. most uf us would be happy with what ever we could get our hands on. Like I said I have to turn the lights off to see me display and it is a total no go in day light, but you know it is better than nothing. so if you meet a less fortunate ham than your self do not look down on him/her, even the junk radio in the barn would be appreciated.

2. K1ZC

K1ZC Ham Member QRZ Page

You can get on the air cheaply, but it does take some effort to find the goods. I was about ready to build one of those $15 QRP kits when a local ham had a moving sale. He sold me an old Heathkit CW rig, VFO, and a barely functioning straight key for $50. He even threw in his old 40m dipole. About all I needed to supply was some coax for the feedline and a ground wire.

Now, some of this stuff was very nasty and needed a good cleaning. The VFO was not designed for this rig and needed to be modified, but I found a wonderful cyber-Elmer on the Internet that helped me through the process (you know the type, a REAL ham that is generous with his time and advice just cause he is a good guy, no make that great guy). I had to invest another $15 in parts and some spray paint but I must say the station is looking pretty good.

Turns out, I learned a lot about tinkering with old tube rigs (I am a child of the solid state era) and had a lot of fun. Sure, it took me three or four weeks sweating over the schematics and a hot soldering iron to get this beast working (and I still have to replace the electrolytics and some other parts), but I am glad I did.

There are plenty of new hams out there without much of a budget that would be happy to devote a little time to cleaning up the junk you have in the basement. If they want a perfect system and are not willing to put in a little effort to get on the air, shame on them. On the other hand, if you are not willing to part with some of your unused and forgotten boatanchors at a reasonable price for no other reason than to help a new ham get on the air, well, shame on you. Tell the guys that want it delivered on a silver platter to go pound sand, there are plenty that are willing to put in some effort if you meet them half-way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.