ad: Flexradio-1

Something For Nothing

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AG4PM

AG4PM QRZ Member QRZ Page

Ummmmm......would you happen to be whining about his whining about someone whining?

Just curious.

2. NA7US

NA7US XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a shame that we have become so cynical and it is a shame that some people will attempt to take advantage of others by placing ads as you described. It's like the the bum on the corner with the sign that says, "Help, I have four children and no food!" When they first started showing up, they were probably real people in real need and willing to work to feed their kids. Then one day a few con artists thought that it was a great way to never work and sponge off the decent people in the world. Now I don't give because I don't believe they are really poor.

So what's my point? If its possible, check out who the person is by checking this website with their callsign. If there is a picture of a young ham you might re-think your statement. For example, my 12 year old son is a Ham and I make him earn his own money for the majority of his equipment. Another child I am teaching the license to is the 11 year old daughter of a single mom living in subsidized housing. She can't afford any equipment and I did advertise to my local club about her predicament and they did respond. So let's be careful that we don't get too cynical but I must admit that whenever I see those ads I tend to pass them up as well. Thanks for reminding me as I will now have to look more closely at those ads as I need to insure that I can be a little more compassionate.

Lastly, those who are pulling in the politics, knock it off.

3. N9PAR

N9PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think everyone is right about getting ham rigs for free.I work for target store here in Marquette,Mich the jobs here are hard to find.If you find a job that pays over $6 an hour your lucky.My girlfriend has just got laid off from her job and she is going to school full time.I only get 20 hours a week at target.We usally just manage to come up with rent.We never go out beacuse we don't have the money.With all this I have SAVED up the money for a two meter rig and a great ht.Some pretty good antennas.I tell my gf all the time as I look at our town house.We don't have it that bad sure we don't get to go out but we have enough food and a warm place to live.I want alot of radios too but I have way to much pride to beg for radios for free.I want a 6 meter radio pretty bad and I figure if I want the radio bad enough I will save up for it.I will apprecate the radio more if I have to bust my butt to get it.I figure that things can't get worse only better.I never look at the bad side of things always the good side of things.when she get out of school it will be better.So if I can save up for radios anyone can.I don't have everything my fellow hams do but I have enough to enjoy ham radio.I think the the best thing about ham radio is not the radios but the person behind the mic.So like I said if I can save up anyone can.I will get the 6 meter radio.It may take a while but thats fine with me.I don't want anyone to feel bad for me and I would never expect anyone to hand over a radio for free!We all have our prolbems.

N9PAR

4. N5JO

N5JO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey, OM,

Thanks for taking time to reply to my posting. It's obvious you're one ham that makes us all proud. It's hard working Americans like you that are the heart and soul of our country...hang in there OM, your pluck and work will pay off in the future while the whiners will still be....whining.

Mike

5. N5JO

Thanks, OM for the time taken to reply to my posting.

I agree with you about helping kids that have little means to start out in ham radio. What a pity it would be for prospective ham youngsters to miss out on a lifetime of fun and adventure in this hobby for want of a few bucks.

I think the most deserving of all kids, though, are our own (if they show an interest, that is). Congrats on being a great dad and neighbor.

Mike

6. N5JO

Hey, Jimmie,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my posting.

You would think that a lack of bucks would, indeed, stimulate a little spark of the homebrew attitude. I must admit however that, beyond putting together an Eico 723 (?) xmtr kit in 1962, I have no experience in those matters.

Enjoyed viewing the photo of you and your station. VERY nice.

Best wishes for '02 es 73,

Mike
    Austin, TX

7. N5JO

Fabian,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my posting. It's very gratifying to me that some young hams agree with me on this subject.

You certainly deserve a lot of praise for coming so far so quickly in ham radio...you are just going to love it more and more, the older you get. Check out my bio here on qrz.com. I was an idiot for letting my license lapse back in 1965... the pre-Columbian era, almost! But since I have been back on the air for the past 13 years, I've enjoyed it more than ever.

Since you're in Corpus and I'm in Austin, it's possible we may run into each other on 2m someday, if the tropospheric ducting works just right.

Keep studying and have a ball with the world's greatest hobby!

Mike

8. KE4MOB

KE4MOB Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, "affordability" is in the eye of the buyer, I suppose...if one gets into the hobby and looks in the mags and is in a position to pay $$$ (and lots of it) for a new rig, then the used 430 is entirely affordable. When did we lose the fascination with simple radios? When the big three decided that the entry level radio had to have bells and whistles and cost $1000+

I can see your point about money...when I first got into the hobby, I was single, no kids, no rent, no house payment, and was working 15 hours of overtime a week. I had money to spend on radio. Fast forward 7 years...wife, two kids, and a mortgage, wife's school loans, you get the idea. Now, if my HF died--I'd be in the same boat you are in.

Just for the sake of fun, look at it this way. My Kenwood 450S was bought new in '94 for $1200. Today, I could probably sell it for $600. (In five years, I wonder how much your 718 will go for??) Most tube gear from major manufacturers goes for $200 and up (depending on the collectability--this is my "guesstimation"--I'm not a trader). Compare this with, say, automobiles or computers. HF gear holds its value over time. Why? By and large it doesn't go obsolete, and is still servicable years after the initial purchase. Which would you rather have...a rig that holds its value over the years or one that essentially worthless 5 years after purchase? That being said, look at the population of hams..mostly over 50, caucasian, white collar males. Is it any coincidence that is the population with the most discretionary income?? Used prices are market driven--and look who's driving the market!!

As for the two meter thing...I would never, never, ever, suggest to a new ham that the first thing they should buy would be a NEW 2M. My elmer told me, "Don't buy a new 2M!" And what did I do? Go out and bought a new 2M. It was a mistake. 2M radios are like armpits..everybody has at least two, and one of them either doesn't work or is for sale!! Besides, once I got my HF, I left two meters in the dust...all the real fun was on HF.

Steve, KE4MOB

9. KD5SYH

KD5SYH Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I'm only a technician class but I'm working on upgrading. The theory is so easy, and I'm going to get hung for saying this, becasue of all the time I spent on 11m SSB! No, I don't think I developed any bad habits on 11m SSB, only experience in proper operating procedures, electronics, propagation, and antennas! I took the General & Extra test last year, passed the General with no problems at all and failed the extra by 3 questions. I'm going to try the two tests again at the end of this month, hopefully passing the extra, becasue my CSCE expired. CW is not so easy for me to learn, but I'm trying to get there (I've been trying for 3 years). I try to practice a little bit (20mins) each day, but it is not always possible. BTW yes you can learn CW in your sleep (actually just as your fixing to go to sleep, that "twilight zone" before you actually fall asleep)! I tried it and it made a noticable improvement in by copy and memorization of the letters! CW by Hypnosis? I guess so! I'm looking foward to getting a Yaesu FT-101 or maybe a Kenwood TS-520 when I pass the test, I enjoy operating tube radios.

10. N2LF

N2LF Ham Member QRZ Page

[My apologies to real hams for getting myself dragged into an off-topic, political dialectic]

Hey, pal...got a chip on your shoulder? You missed my balanced perspective, but I'm not surprised given your apparent mental imbalance.

I'm GLAD, not complaining, that I make a decent living. I may be filthy rich to a hard-working day-laborer who lives hand-to-mouth, but I'm "relatively poor" to the $100K+ average annual incomes where I live. Don't you know what "relative" means, or do you think it's someone you marry?

Yeah, that was a cheap shot. It was a cheap shot for you to call me a baby from the safety of your keyboard. So please accept my invitation to New York, say it to my face, and I'll give you another definition of "innuendo." And as far as IRS stats go, I'm in the 15% tax bracket, to whom Bush did not give a tax cut (thanks, W!). Oops, I'm whining again...

Now here's the part where you prove that you're an ignoramus: Medicare is NOT welfare! MedicAID is welfare. Almost everyone over 65 is entitled to Medicare. If you don't like it, you can either decline your share or do battle with the retirees of America.

As for not taking care of my elders, what the f*@k do you know? We donate to family, church, school and charities, and we volunteer in community outreach. What do YOU do, besides attack people?

True, you don't call yourself "relatively poor", but you did call yourself an "Original Liberal" who "...work(s) with Reality." Thereafter, you defined yourself by attacking my contribution instead of making your own. That, by definition, is NOT original, and I doubt very much by your attitude that you're a liberal.

11. n7ah

n7ah Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve- AMEN! I like your style and what you said about the two meter thing. It is something I have preached for years. I started VE testing way back in 1991 and one of the things I kept track of was the number of "no coders" that were still going to be in ham radio a decade later, and what class of license they would now possess. Well, I hate to admit it, but I was right. The two meter "no-coders" for the most part stayed just that, if they did not drop out of the hobby alltogether. In other parts of the country it may be different, but that is the way it has been around here. As for elmering the newcomers....we had classes after classes, but very few showed up. Oh well, life goes on. Enjoy what is left of our hobby while we can. 73 de Curt, N7AH

12. N2LF

N2LF Ham Member QRZ Page

As a gun-toting police chaplain Democrat, I liked your sarcasm, especially the parts about skipping church and lighting joints! I hope to be as clever as you when I parody Republicans.

13. K3EU

K3EU Ham Member QRZ Page

What can I say, I'm just another Clinton-era leftover and it's my fault that certain people think ham radio sucks. Thanks for the compliment though, and I'll see you in church.

-k2acx

14. AG4PM

AG4PM QRZ Member QRZ Page

Haha...thanks for the chuckle.

15. rbwiles

rbwiles Guest

Excuse I must have wondered into the wrong forum were do they talk about ham radio around here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.