ad: CQMM-1

Someone is scamming with my callsign

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by N5OLA, Feb 13, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N5OLA

N5OLA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KD1EZ just reached out to me to ask if I had sent the email below. Apparently someone got hold of my callsign, misspelled my name and created a Gmail acct with which to scam other hams. (I've never gone by Willy in my life.) I think this is happening outside of QRZ, but it's concerning. Any tips on what I can do about this? It's downright mortifying.

Thanks,
    Will Everett N5OLA

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 5.31.18 PM.png

2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I would add an email to your QRZ page. It would seem the lack of an email addr is somehow an encouragement to the low life's.
    Also, consider a quick note as to the scammer & email being used.

Otherwise, nice page!

3. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

WILL,

@KL7KN GAVE U SOME SUPER INFO.........

ALSO, PUT A NOTICE ON UR PAGE THAT UR NOT SELLING ANYTHING.....

73 - K1LKP

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Yes - exactly as Don states. Scammers LOVE to use call signs of users who don't put a public email on their QRZ page.

Change that! Also put wording on your Bio page that reflects the "Willy" thing and the fake email - you do sell a lot of stuff on QRZ so surprising a scammer picked you - they usually pick unused call signs. Betcha it's because you don't list an email, he just suspected your account was seldom used

Dave
    W7UUU

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

N5OLA is actually a regular and frequent seller on QRZ

Dave
    W7UUU

K1LKP and KL7KN like this.
  6. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank_you_hand_writing.gif