ad: M2Ant-1

Someone acting as N8TL

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W3SCA, Aug 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W3SCA

W3SCA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just wanted to alert everyone that a scammer tried contacting me after I posted to someone else's post about their amplifier. He was acting like he was N8TL but was using a gmail address. BE cautious guys, these thieves are out there!

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That is a hijacked QRZ account that has been banned. Someone took it over in June (most likely via a Phishing scam) and used the account to post fraudulent ads. Since July 1, 2019 with the IDV rules in place, such hijacks are nearly impossible to perpetrate in the QRZ swapmeet.

Anyone responding to someone claiming to be N8TL is responding to a crook.

As of today, the "real" N8TL has not contacted QRZ to have his account reinstated.

DO NOT RESPOND TO ANYONE CLAIMING TO BE N8TL

Dave
    W7UUU

3. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish these scammers didnt have access to reading the Swap Meet forum.

KA2FIR likes this.
  4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Please post the full email address and any other identifying information you have.

The more details you post the more you help the community.

You owe no privacy to scumbag criminals!

KA2FIR likes this.
  5. WA6OWR

WA6OWR Ham Member QRZ Page

I was contacted via email after posting a want for an at130 kenwood tuner.

I responded and sent money as requested. I find now he is using N8TL's
    callsign.

Here is the eham alert i found tonight.

eHam
    eHam Forums => Good Seller / Buyer Beware => Topic started by: KY6R on August 04, 2019, 01:38:10 AM

Title: n8tl5135@gmail.com Scammer
    Post by: KY6R on August 04, 2019, 01:38:10 AM
    This person is impersonating N8TL and when you go to pay - all of a sudden its to his supposed daughter. S/he then uses a scam shipper who has email addresses and a phone number with 201 area code that doesn't work.

I found the real N8TL and his real email address and he confirmed someone is using his call to scam.

I reported this plus his supposed daughter to PayPal.

Title: RE: n8tl5135@gmail.com Scammer
    Post by: KG6TR on August 05, 2019, 10:09:19 AM
    I got an email from him responding to my "wanted" ad - same story. Thanks for posting this.

WR2E and NZ4X like this.
  6. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What method of payment did you use? If you sent via Paypal tell us that you didn't use Friends and Family.

It would be nice if @N8TL contacted QRZ to have his account reinstated so he can update his profile page.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

OK - to clarify: the N8TL account was hijacked back in June via a Phishing scam. HE CANNOT LOG IN, so until he contacts QRZ to ask why his account is banned, he cannot post here. He can SEE what's posted - but until he asks his account to be restored that's it.

What is happening with the fake N8TL right now is OUTSIDE OF QRZ involvement or control. Period.

If you are contacted by anyone claiming to be N8TL, it's a scammer.

Should the "real" N8TL see this thread, and wish to be reinstated etc., by all means ping support@QRZ.com

Until then, this is a closed topic as it does not in any way relate to QRZ or the QRZ swapmeet

Dave
    W7UUU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.