Some Windows 10 Pro PCs are suddenly no longer activated

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KX4OM, Nov 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Plus the revenue that they get from YOU when you visit sites. All this data is sent to advertisers and sold. One reason I did not "upgrade" to win 10. I'm happy with 8.1.

de NK2U

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Win 10 updates can be set up to notify, rather than auto download. Either way:

1. Win 10 downloads the updates; my system says "do not turn off your computer..." But I have to tell Win 10 to upload the updates; otherwise I am just notified that updates are available.

2.The updates are actually INSTALLED when the machine is turned on again.

3. KG5QNO

KG5QNO Ham Member QRZ Page

Windows 8 is the first version I recall with ads baked into the operating system - those "tiles" that update with random junk you can buy online... Windows 10 Pro has a bit of that as well. It's disappointing that OSX isn't available on all hardware, and that several important software companies have decided not to support Linux for their flagship software (eg. Adobe, Autodesk, Dassault). That leaves many folks stuck with Windows, like it or not.

4. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have the tiles turned off and the charms on the right hand side too! I use Classic Shell which brings back the Start Button. Works very well. Amazing that MS would bring out the start button in win 95 and then toss it aside later. I don't see any ads whatsoever.

de NK2U

KG5QNO likes this.
  5. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

My "New-Used" computer came with Windows, But I upgraded it to windows 10 Enterprise edition. Classic Shell is a "Lifesaver"...
    Haven't checked out the Blackviper windows 10 tweaks page yet.. still trying to figure out how to get rid of all those bundled Apps that nobody wants or uses ....

N2UHC likes this.
  6. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

On my system that is And/Or selection. I have both the notify and auto download turned off. But I regularly check for updates and often find them already downloaded and waiting for me. If you dig down far enough into the Advanced Options you can control how much bandwidth is used for uploads or downloads. I don't have any of them turned on or set.

For me, it doesn't matter. The downloads never get in my way. I get a notice after the download has been sitting there for a while, but just a notice that it's there. But that's about it. I have had the update listed below downloaded and ready for me to restart my compute, for several days. So when I'm ready, I will reboot.

2018-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4462933)

I have never seen the "do not turn off your computer..." message, except when a reboot includes an update. I never turn off my computer. I only put it to sleep.

To be specific, the updates are only installed when you computer system is restarted from scratch. That can be with a Power Off/On or from a selection from the Power icon. From the Power Icon you can select "update and shut down" or "update and reboot". Since I only put my laptop to sleep, waking it, up by pressing the Power button, does not install updates. I just continue on from where I left off.

7. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, let me rephrase that... when has Microsoft ever given away any worthwhile software for free?

8. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the very first thing I did when I bought my current laptop with Windows 8 was put Classic Shell on it so I could have a worthwhile menu bar.

NK2U and KLONDIKEMIKE like this.
  9. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Visual Studio Code is considered by many to be a very good free code editor / IDE from Microsoft.

https://code.visualstudio.com

10. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, KT1F- Yet look at the policy at the Oracle website re: Java 8. Were you planning to do home or commercial work with it? Then there is C plus plus and a few other systems involved... You probably gnu that ( sorry, the spelling of knew did not escape... ).