ad: ARR

Some Windows 10 Pro PCs are suddenly no longer activated

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KX4OM, Nov 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Sam Ting.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

2. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

No, It's definitely Win 10 on this one machine. We had a Win 7 machine but it went to the bit bucket in the sky. It ran just fine, none of these weird issues.
    Changing the modem wouldn't help... The speed is limited by the crummy twisted pair 1970s phone line drop to our house. That's not what drops all the time, It's the Wi-Fi from the computer back to the router. No other devices have the problem.
    I'll keep hacking it, there's a lot of people out on the net trying to solve the same problems.

3. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have slow DSL, rather Comcast cable. I put up with increasing disconnect issues until 6 months ago. I upgraded to a Netgear Nighthawk R6400 router, and the WiFi problems went away. The range is much better, too. The most problematic machine was and is 3 walls away. It is faster with no disconnects. My basement machines are on a wired LAN from the router via a new gigabit switch; the old 1o/100 quit a couple of weeks ago.

Ted, KX4OM

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good to know that windows finally does updates politely like OS X.o_O

Except that Windows 10 still can’t get it done completely the first time on occasion, as I’ve related in a previous thread.

5. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Netscape Corp would disagree. How much did Microsoft charge for Internet Explorer?

N0TZU likes this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Most tracking software is free.

N2UHC and N0TZU like this.
  7. N0TZU

And worth every penny too!

8. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

MS has had several high profile update related issues in the last couple of months. This one was related to it's registration and anti-piracy system and, fortunately, appears to have harmed relatively few people. But every time another Win10 update comes through I sweat a bit when it reboots.

The whole thing is related to MS's "Windows as a Service" concept. Instead of issuing a "new" version of Win every couple of years, the plan was that Win10 would be the last such major update to be issued. From Win10 forward, MS will continually update the OS about twice a year with new features, and once a month or so will issue bug fixes, security updates, etc. As all of the issues with these updates indicates, they are being pushed out too fast without being adequately tested in order to try to keep up with their self imposed deadlines.

How does MS make money if it isn't charging you to update to a new version of the OS? First PC makers are charged when they install the OS on new computers and, if you build your own, you have to buy it. Second, Win10 is chock full of ads and "offers" and other nonsense from software vendors who pay MS to push their garbage on you. Third, the company also gets a cut of all the stuff sold through the Microsoft Store, so if you buy software via that, MS gets a percentage.

9. N0TZU

Beginning with Win8 I had all sorts of weird WiFi drop problems on my sons computer. His Xbox would mysteriously drop the connnection too. There was no pattern or reason I could determine. Once it happened, they would refuse to even recognize the Apple router. The only way I could recover was to restart the router, then Win10 would see the router, but often not remember the password anymore.

No other devices saw any problems. With Win10 and a newer Xbox those problems went away by about 98% but once in a while it still happened. The Win10 running under Fusion on a Mac never had an issue but it’s really interfacing through OS X.

Thankfully he’s moved out so I don’t have any more Windows support issues except my own copy under Fusion.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Plus the money they get from the gov for letting them spy on the public.