Some Windows 10 Pro PCs are suddenly no longer activated

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KX4OM, Nov 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
  1. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

4. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm debating downgrading the new laptop to Win 7... We're on DSL and you have to cripple the Win 10 updates in order to actually get any use out of the machine (rather than it just sitting there, locked up, trying to download some humongous update at 1.2 mb/sec every day). Not to mention Win 10 sux rox. We have the "network keeps disconnecting" and "printer keeps going offline" problems... Still working on them, about ready to nuke it.

KK4NSF likes this.
  5. K7MEM

If I had the problems that you are having, I would replace the modem. I would not consider your problem a Windows 10 issue.

I have three WIndows 10 Home systems and one XP system. All but one connects via WiFi to my DSL modem. The only reason for the XP system is that it's an old 32 bit Compaq Presario and can't run anything newer. I also have a Windows 3.1 laptop, but that isn't used on the net.

None of them give me any issues with updates. I have never had the printer go off line, but I have had the internet suddenly go away. This happens maybe once a month. When that happens, I just reboot the modem. A modem reboot only takes 3 or 4 minutes and I'm back on line. Nothing else gets rebooted.

With my main W10 laptop, I never log off. In the evening I simply put it to sleep and close the lid. The next day, I open it up and start were I left off the night before. When it starts, the laptop checks for any updates. Not just MS updates, but other vendors as well. This happens in the background and is not noticeable. The updates are also downloaded with out any interference.

Once the updates are downloaded, I get a notice. Years ago, MS wouldn't bother letting me know, they would just reboot. MS would often wake up my computer at night, install the updates, and reboot the computer (Active Hours). That was very frustrating because everything I had set up, was gone.

It's very different now. Now I can put off the update reboot, until I have some spare time. And, most of the apps that were running when I shut down, are restarted when I log in. None of the updates take more than 5 or 10 minutes. One of my computers is considered my backup system. The computer use to be on Windows 7, but I updated it to Windows 10 years ago, when the free upgrades were offered. I keep it off most of the time. But about once a month, I power it up for updates. I just set it up and let it go. Those updates can take a good deal of time, but time doesn't matter, with that system. The updates for that system do not bother the other systems.

While I was writing this, I clicked on the button to check for updates. It found a cumulative update and started downloading it. At this same time, the XYL is working on another W10 system. It's now around 40 percent downloaded, and not bothering any of the other systems. Maybe some time this weekend, I will reboot.

6. K7MEM

Oops!! This posted twice, so I deleted one of them.

7. KX4OM

Microsoft has changed its development and testing process with Windows 10. This from Peter Bright of Ars Technica in an in-depth article 3 weeks ago:

"Microsoft' s problem isn't how often it updates Windows - it's how it develops it"

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...shipping-windows-updates-its-developing-them/

One of my machines is one on which I did the free upgrade from Windows 7. I haven't yet tried the October Update yet. I have all 3 of the Win 10 machines (2 are business use) on administrative "Business track" delay for updates.

Ted, KX4OM

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 3:20 PM
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Turns out that is was not really free. :eek:

My 7 machines are still virgin and have not been screwed with updates.

9. KX4OM

My ancient Dell XP Service Pack 3 tower is treated very gently, hardware-wise. I don't want to lose the capability of its genuine Excel 2003 that came OEM with it. I have a PHSNA that needs the interactive chart creation feature for filter sweeps; Libre Office Calc doesn't do the job. I have used Clonezilla twice now to port the XP installation to newer IDE/PATA hard drives in anticipation of wearing out the old ones. No bad caps on the motherboard yet!

Ted, KX4OM

10. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I had to be suspicious of Microsoft offering an upgrade to Windows 10 for "free." Especially the sneaky way they loaded it onto everyone's computer via updates and no easy way to remove that constant nagging reminder to upgrade to 10. In the past Microsoft has never given anything away for free.