Some Say Our Hobby is a...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM6CND, Mar 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

Waste of time.
    Why do that when you could...
    Insert your thoughts here.

For about 3 months I had to live with Internet access by cell phone with 6 gigs of data a month. Trust me, it makes you think very hard about why you need to spend a few minutes on Web SDR and Band Conditions.

When I finally had full Internet access with "100 up and down" (yea, right) I became reacquainted with the world through the Internet. Then I started thinking... Before the Internet and email, where instant exchanges of voice and data and photos and..

There was Ham radio. Those who were Hams could literally "talk to the world, one QSO at a time"
    And those who did not, could not.

Hams had Packet Radio to send a "cave man" form of email as we might consider it today.
    The rest of us had pen, paper, envelope and stamp.

Some Hams had radios in their cars and could keep in touch with YL at home or call for help if the car died on the road.
    The rest of us had to walk to the nearest pay phone and hope we have enough coins in our pocket.

All those examples are great and clearly outdated and I really don't care.

Today, God forgot to wake up the Sun. Propagation was FLAT (less than 5) on all bands. The Noon Time Net was a serious challenge and every time we collectively reminded ourselves of just how bad the band was, I thought, "the band conditions are great! this means we all have to really work hard and make use of every tool and technique we have to simply claim the victory of 'checking in' to the NTN".

It was worth the effort.

K0IDT, G8ADD, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  2. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

Some might say model trains are a waste of time as well... except for one thing. It brings pleasure to those who enjoy the hobby. Other than that you do not need to justify or explain yourself to anyone.

KA0USE, N3AB, WD8T and 9 others like this.
  3. WN6U

WN6U Subscriber QRZ Page

Some (most?) internet forums are a waste of time. o_O

N3AB, N2EY, K0IDT and 5 others like this.
  4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Almost anything. They're all pastimes... used to pass time.

K0IDT, KK5JY, K1TGX and 4 others like this.
  5. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

Who cares what they say? Seriously.

KD2NOM, K1TGX and WD4IGX like this.
  6. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

And I like Bryan's active pastime pursuit. His tower accomplishes that effectively and efficiently. :)

7. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Joke,

Hello Jeff,
    When some people are run off of a repeater by others, for just wanting to say hello to a friend, some of us will never come back.

At the time Frank KR6AL the president of the Catalina repeater association did not do a very good job trying to explain it away. He never said enough to make the situation any better.

Lisa, "Don't let the door hit you in the ### on the way out" was not a very enlightening thing to hear or to be told to me and my friends by the one in charge of the repeater.

That is why you never hear me on the Catalina repeater, there is just no one there that I care to talk to. I talk to my friends on the phone, on the HF or on the KD6DDM repeater where we are welcomed by David, the owner of the repeater.

If ham radio all went away today I would just find something else to do.

But nice to se you in the forums Jeff, :)
    73, Lisa

W5WN and VK4HAT like this.
  8. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Some say this thread is..... stupid

K1FBI, VE3KDO, K1OIK and 1 other person like this.
  9. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

Lisa, I will always find time to say hello, heard you on NTN a few times. The good thing about SoCal is there are plenty of local repeaters to hang out on.

Perhaps if I never found Ham Radio, I'd likely be reading more. So many books...so little time.:)

KU4X and N6QIC like this.
  10. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Some say our hobby is an outdated mode of communications on its way to the grave yard. I know we have JT8, PSK, winlink, APRS, CW, and various, other modes to play with but in the end the magic of communicating with distant lands over the air just isn’t interesting to most people anymore.

Yea some brag about there being more licensed amateurs than ever before but most of them are technicians that came into the hobby in the last few years due to ARRLs “when all else fails” campaign. The vast majority of these people have no interest in HF and once they find out the when all else fails moments are extremely rare they loose interest and will in all likelihood not renew there license.

That leaves us old farts that actually enjoy the hobby to keep thing going until we die off.

W5TTW, K4AGO, W5TTP and 1 other person like this.