Some help needed on wiring up a new 110VAC electrical outlet for relocating my ham shack.

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC0BUS, Oct 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

It shows whoever uses the term has no formal training or education in electrical. 110/220 was antiquated 50 60 years ago. 110 Volts was never an AC voltage to start with. 110 volts came from Edison DC system and most notably Edison 110 volt light bulb.

In the last 50 years or so is 250/125 volts with +/- 10% tolerance. So as Engineers and Sparkies go we know when we hear someone say 220/110 volt, or I need a station ground, have no clue what they are talking about or doing.

2. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

From the NEC, there are nominal voltage classes. We are dealing with 120/240. Look up 'voltages' in the NEC.

Where did you come up with 250/125?

3. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

NEMA.

240/120 or 250/125 are acceptable and taught. 220/110 died with Edison. Would be a wonderful thing if the USE eliminated the Grounded Circuit Conductor. Would get rid of most of the noise, and instantly cut wire losses in half.

4. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I forgot about NEMA and their screwy voltages.

But it's 125/250 for your basic single phase in NEMA, but they use the 120 based voltages for 120/208 and 277/480 like the NEC.

You will still see 110 and 220 voltages on motor labels.

One nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

Edit to add: Looking at motor nameplates, 110 seems to have gone by the wayside, there are still 110 motors out there, but the new ones say 115. We totally forgot about 115/230.

Nothing to this electrical stuff. :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's because NEMA ratings are equipment ratings.
    NEC are utilization ratings.
    Often times we can't see the forest because of the trees. The EM in NEMA stands for Equipment Manufacturer.

I wonder if we convinced this guy on hiring a licensed electrician?

6. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

I have seen 117 vac on name plates of equipment. Irons, electric heaters and such where is may not make a huge difference.
    Actually back in the 50s/60s the ham equipment power transformers were designed to the lower line voltages for proper tube heater levels and could be a consideration in the power supplies when operated at 120+ today.
    Use that same equipment on 120 + voltages today and the tube heaters are likely over driven.
    It may not sound like much but failure, after the fact, is seldom ever investigated or thought about..

N8VIL likes this.
  7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

As opposed to a D-I-Y project that could result in fire, or personal injury, even death?:confused:
    As they say, PRICELESS! Hire a licensed electrician.

K8MHZ likes this.
  8. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Contrary to what you may think there are a lot of people not certified as an electrician who know how to do that wiring. I do agree that any service run to your radio room should ideally be a separate line from the breaker box (both 120 and 240 vac). 'Short cuts' are not a good idea...

9. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a big one, often bigger than the fire itself. Many big- gubmint-phobes miss the fact that the real government in their lives is the insurance industry. It manages so much of our daily lives. By vote or default, people have made it this way. Not unlike HOAs, to which local governments have ceded their authority. As a doc for 40+ years I have seen it constantly.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    WD0BCT and W1TRY like this.
  10. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's true, but such people don't phrase their queries the way the original post in this thread was phrased.

Furthermore, I have seen plenty of wiring done by people who seemed to think they were qualified, but who in reality knew just enough to be dangerous, and should have hired a professional. Sometimes the electrical connection was working but the mechanical installation was unsafe, other times the problems were purely electrical.