Some help needed on wiring up a new 110VAC electrical outlet for relocating my ham shack.

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC0BUS, Oct 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. KC0BUS

    KC0BUS Ham Member QRZ Page

    About how much money would it cost me to hire a professional to come out to my house and install a new electrical outlet in the garage just for my new ham shack?
  2. AI5DH

    AI5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

    Get a couple of bids. Depends on where you live. If you live in a union city. around $200. In other cities with Right to Work about half that. It is about a 1 hour job if easy to get at.
  3. WR2E

    WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

    Maybe where you live! You can’t get a guy to sweep a floor in NJ for that!
    AG6QR likes this.
  4. KA9JLM

    KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

    I would use a extension cord.

    Then your wife can unplug it to make you come to bed at night. :rolleyes:
    W6KCS likes this.
  5. NG1H

    NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    Depends. No matter what figure on truck/travel charge ($50-$75) plus at least 1 hour labor ($60 - $120). If outlet is right next to the electrical panel you are looking at around $50 in material for a dedicated circuit. Need to run conduit to the other side of the house through the attic? Could be multiple $hundreds in material and 2 workers 2-3 hours each. Out of slots and need to add a subpanel and relocate circuits? You may be looking >$1,000.
  6. WD0BCT

    WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    I hate being out of slots! They are expensive buggers.
  7. WA9SVD

    WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

    I had (and still have) a good friend, and a contractor. He said You can "kludge" it with D-I-Y,, or get a licensed electrician to do it RIGHT the first time. I thought a minute, and decided the co$t of D-I-Y AND later a licensed electrician was much more than "doing it right the first time." Get a licensed electrician to evaluate and then perform what is required. (BTW, your insurance company may be mad about not being able to disallow a non-approved installation., but better THEM, than you having to foot the bill if something goes wrong.
  8. WA9SVD

    WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

  9. WD0BCT

    WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    We recently remodeled our kitchen and had to relocate two receptacles and two overhead light recessed can and one pendant. That was the only electrical work to do and I considered doing it myself...but then said nope..not going to put up with the bother and making sure I coordinated with the counter , backsplash and cupboard work schedule, let alone handle the patching afterward. So I said bring on the licensed electrician. After he accomplished the kitchen work I had him install a proper receptacle for my sump pump. It was running off of an extension cord on the floor for years which won't look to cool when we sell the place.

    It gave him a full day of work and was well worth it to me. And as you might expect the craftsman argued over coordinating the crafts....I didn't have to get involved! If you want a conflict just hire two crafts...even if under the same general contractor they won't see eye to eye. But it's the general contractor's problem. I just watched and sipped a cool brew. ;)
  10. WB2WIK

    WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    Has the original poster ever come back to ask anything other than how much it will cost?

    My suggestion is "just do it yourself, and it might make the local news.":)
    K0UO likes this.

Share This Page