Some help needed on wiring up a new 110VAC electrical outlet for relocating my ham shack.

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC0BUS, Oct 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Asking the question means you are not familiar with power distribution. Hire an electrician. It is safer.

2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not to pile on the replies above, but as it's almost certain the branch circuit feeding that outdoor light also feeds other rooms I'd suggest running one or more dedicated branch circuits from the main breaker panel out to the location of your new ham shack. If you don't run a big amp a single dedicated 20 amp 120 volt feed will be fine. If you run an amp or plan to run one in the future then I'd also run a dedicated 240 volt line to the new shack.

If and when you do have an electrician come out to quote the job I'd have them look at those options rather than limiting the scope of the job to extending the existing lamp feed.

3. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Real simple, you have no business working with electricity as you have no knowledge or respect playing with fire. Hire an electrician and tell him you want a Dedicated Outlet and show him where to place it. That is the best advice you are going to get.

4. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I disagree slightly.

If your setup is the typical 100 watt transceiver and maybe a shack computer, you don't need a dedicated circuit. A 15 amp circuit shared with the outdoor light (if it is 100 watts or less) MAY be fine.

The key word there is: MAY.

Without an on-site inspection by a qualified person, there's absolutely no way for any of us to know the realities and possibilities of your house wiring.

So the best approach IMHO is:

1) Figure out exactly what the electrical needs of your setup will be. Radio(s)? Computer? Amplifier? Rotator? Accessories? Test gear? Lighting? Coffeepot? Mini fridge full of suds?

2) Since this is a garage, will there be a need for additional heating and/or cooling?

3) Where are the outlets (plural) needed?

Once all those answers are in hand and written down,

4) Get a real-life electrician to check out the setup and give you an estimate of what should be done.

This may seem a bit of work, but it's necessary. And it's much cheaper to do it right the first time.

NN4RH likes this.
  5. W0KDT

W0KDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Absolutely.

But, OP, assuming you do hire an electrician, the optimum would be to pull a new 2 phase 20 or 30 amp circuit from the service entry panel to your shack location. That will not cost much more than a single 110v circuit and it gives you the future option of plugging in a linear amp. I would ask for a quad box with four 20a outlets and a second box with a 220 socket. There are various flavors of 220v sockets so take the electrician's best guess. You can always have it changed in the future if that becomes necessary.

N3AB likes this.
  6. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't know the AC is 120v, don't know the black is the hot side, don't know the white lead is the common, don't know the bare copper is aground, don't know the light is on a switch, don't give power expected to be used, don't know how much power the outside light consumes and you feel he can be expected to wire and use hardware in a proper manner?

7. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. At least the OP has the sense to ask. The people who don’t recognize that they don’t understand the situation are the ones to be worried about.

N3AB, W1TRY, WA8FOZ and 3 others like this.
  8. N2EY

BEST POST OF THE ENTIRE THREAD!!!

N3AB, WA8FOZ and K6LPM like this.
  9. N2EY

Who are you addressing?

The recommendations here are practically unanimously AGAINST DIY in this case.

10. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I had an electrician install two led style tubes over my garage workbenches plus three quad outlet boxes. Money well spent. I'm running a drill press (thank you sweetheart), scroll saw and the W3TBG wires-x node.

KD2ACO likes this.