Some FT8 Intervals Don't Decode

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KG6MZS, Apr 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KG6MZS

KG6MZS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hallelujah! Problem solved!

I’m guessing it was a bad driver on the external sound card.

Bringing the audio straight from the line out on the K3 into the computer solved the problem of the “fuzzy” cycles

I mistakenly thought it might be my older computer, so I borrowed a newer laptop - same problem. So that eliminated the computer. I didn’t think I had the right cables to hook the computer up directly, but I did have one stereo mini-pin cable. Since the receive audio can be different from the transmit audio, I split the way WSJT-X works and now to works just fine. The fancy outboard sound card can generate the signal and the computer can just listen directly.

This probably took a lot longer to figure out than it should have.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

KE5MC and KP4SX like this.
  2. KG6MZS

Just to be clear to anyone else who might have this problem, the soundcard and its driver work just fine with all other apps - stuff like Digital Master 780.

The problem sees to be a WSJT-X/Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 issue on the incoming sound only.

FWIW,

73 de Eric KG6MZS

3. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As I was following the thread I was thinking that possibly WSJT-X has a more demanding fidelity requirement of the digitized audio in light of comments about DM780 working. I’m not familiar with Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Something I’ll copy and paste in Google.
    P.S. Oh... high end professional audio equipment. Maybe something in the box’s enhancement to the audio stream for music or voice not good for WSJT-X. Just a thought...

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  4. KG6MZS

It's kinda weird that WSJT-X can drive the sound card just fine - I just worked Kenya and the Balearic Islands from the west coast. It just can't parse the audio input reliably.

FWIW I use the Scarlett to record my guitars - that's why I have it. It sounds fantastic. The input I am using - Apple's internal sound card - can't keep up with the musical input. The latency is horrible.

Whatever... it's working :)

Thanks again for all your help KE5MC

KE5MC likes this.
  5. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KG6MZS

Hi Layne,

Thanks for the suggestion. I probably will try that at some point, but right now I am just enjoying using a configuration that works. Give me a few weeks and I might be ready to go back into hair-tearing mode. ;-)

73 de Eric, KG6MZS