Some FT8 Intervals Don't Decode - SOLVED

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KG6MZS, May 10, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KG6MZS

KG6MZS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hallelujah!

Because the bad cycles sound fine, but look very distorted, I’m guessing it was a bad driver on the external sound card.

Bringing the audio straight from the line out on the K3 into the computer solved the problem of the “fuzzy” cycles.

I mistakenly thought it might be my older computer, so I borrowed a newer laptop - same problem. So that eliminated the computer. I didn’t think I had the right cables to hook the computer up directly, but I did have one stereo mini-pin cable. Since the receive audio can be different from the transmit audio, I split the way WSJT-X works and now to works just fine. The fancy outboard sound card can generate the signal and the computer can just listen directly.

This probably took a lot longer to figure out than it should have.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

2. KG6MZS

KG6MZS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just to be clear to anyone else who might have this problem, the soundcard and its driver work just fine with all other apps - stuff like Digital Master 780.

The problem sees to be a WSJT-X/Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 issue on the incoming sound only.

FWIW,

73 de Eric KG6MZS

KA0HCP likes this.
  3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a similar issue with the internal sound card on a Samsung netbook using a Rigblaster PnP. If I listened to the audio as it came into the PC, it was fine, but if it was processed by any software, it was garbled - DigiPan, FLDigi, even the Windows sound recorder. External USB sound card solved the issue, until I wised up and got a Signalink USB.

4. W4HWD

W4HWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I used signalink when I first got my K3, bought the Elecraft cord and PnP to move it over from the 718. After realizing K3 had built-in sound card (doh!) I went straight from rig to computer and happily ever after. If I had read the manual first I would have saved $38 on stuff I didn’t need.

5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

The K3 has transformer coupled line-in and line-out connections so you don't need the Rigblaster PnP.
    The surplus industrial computer I'm using has poor audio quality. I put in a decent sound card to work the digital modes.

Zak W1VT