Solving the contest credibility problem

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by VK5EEE, Mar 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Well stated.

Nope. In 45 years, I've NEVER used anything other than my ears + grey matter to copy at well over 30 wpm.
    Your ASSumption.

VK5EEE DE WA7PRC SK

KS4W likes this.
  2. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

WA7PRC will you quit stalking me on forums, otherwise I'll have to make a complaint to the forums administrator, along with the evidence. You simply follow me around, click like on anyone that opposes my views, contribute nothing of value yourself to the discussion, and have no real interest in the subject matter at hand, nor knowledge about it -- there is a clear pattern there. There's plenty of other space there than to harrass and stalk me, and this is not in the interest nor intention of these forums, which are for sharing and discussion of ideas. A look at your posting patterns its only too obvious to any forum admin, I've been admin of numerous forums myself, I know how to spot it as will the admin here. Cease and desist henceforth otherwise I shall have to complain and request you be banned from certain forums.

3. W9JEF

W9JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

I've heard "5NN" AGN CALL ES SEC"--absurd.
    Just e-mailed my Spring Stew (Perry) log. All
    you need to copy is grid square (RST optional).
    The number of times in a pileup that you're #1
    says more than any RST report, IMHO. :)

:cool:

VK5EEE likes this.
  4. WK9U

WK9U Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a subject where you won't find the answers on this forum. If you do, the QRZ body isn't going to change things to your preference. I say "your preference" because you're obviously not content with the system in place. Those who have been responding to you have been doing it in kindness and courtesy, such as myself. When the number of related topics arise in other threads or sub-forums, we simply joke about it or only ever-so-litey make a couple comments to appease the poster.
    All-in-all, this subject falls into similar categories or religion, firearms, politics, and illegal activity.
    We as qrz members would rather not see these topics because they are so debatable and lead to arguments and forum banishment if severe. Your opinions were stated as well as others.
    I'm a forum moderator on a non-related site and though you're intelligent and we'll spoken, many disagree with sensitive topics and reports are filed and the threads are removed, revoked, or locked permanently.
    I'm half-heartedly interested in this topic but there's not been an argument brought to the masses that have been able to change signal reporting unless there's an event stating rules of accuracy.

5. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked the contest this last weekend and all I heard was 59. It ain't going to change. Never never never never ever, never ever, never ever. Not until pigs fly and I grew up on a farm so I know that ain't never ever going to happen. Even Trump could not change the ole 59 "problem". It is kind of like wishing the earth would turn the other way. Or wishing for snow in Brazil. Again ain't going to happen.
    But it is fun watching this thread. Extra butter please!
    John, WB0MPB

6. AA8TA

AA8TA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sheesh... if this doesn't call for the Huge Manatee, I don't know what does.

Here's an idea! Contest organizers are always looking for help. Sometimes, they even have leadership positions open as the ARRL and CQ did recently. Call me a radical, but if one was not happy with how a contest works, why not volunteer to assist and lead in the contest organizations? Just like our election systems here in the U.S., everybody complains about how the country is run but a lot of elections have fewer than 50% voter turn-out.

M0PHE and WB0MPB like this.
  7. WB0MPB

Oh you are so right on both issues. I would never not vote! I don't want to volunteer on a contest committee though. I like them just the way they are. I make contacts, we say each other's call showing we made contact with each other and then I am ecstatic because I have another DX contact. I could care less what signal report he gives me. It means nothing to me. All I want is to hear his call and him to repeat my call to me knowing that he heard me and we have made contact with each other. If they dropped the signal report and just exchanged calls the contact would just go faster and be off to your next contact sooner. I don't even care what number of contact I am and see no need to exchange that info. Again it is making the contact longer.

The above is my opinion and may not be the opinion of the OP. (And I bet my first born it is not)

John, WB0MPB

8. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

The subject doesn't fall into religion, firearms etc, that's being facetious. MPB, with all due respect, not only should you never say level, let alone never, never, never, but contest rules do change and several contests have already dropped the rediculous 5NN. So are you guys trying to exert censorship by banning certain CW topics on the forum relevant to CW operators who don't like the unlimited expansion of contests and would participate in them if they were a little honest? Because you have been around in the forum and don't like the subject, seen it before, but there are those who haven't and may like to discuss these issues. Why don't you simply ignore this thread, is there any reason you cannot do so? Do all of you hog the entire QRZ forums like your private domain to exert censorship and bullying, stalking, deflection, obfuscation, all things which have been deployed by various persons, to put down those whose opinions, suggestions or questions you object to? Why don't you start your own thread in favour of your own views?

9. WK9U

WK9U Ham Member QRZ Page

10. WB0MPB

Quote from you, "not only should you never say level, let alone never, never, never,"
    First question is what does that mean? I never said level at all and I only said never once. So I have no clue what you are talking about.

Second: I gave my opinion just like you did. I even said it was my opinion. So read your post and tell me why your opinion is more important than mine. Why are you allowed to give your opinion and not me.

Third: I said nothing that is trying to ban your thread in anyway. If I did then show me. In the body of my post I never said anything bad about you as you did about me and others in your post. I only spoke about the issue of the topic. I thought that was the intent of a thread. Sharing opinions. Guess I was wrong and missed that memo on sharing different opinions.

Fourth: I never once said I don't like the subject as you said about me. If I didn't like it I would not have stopped by and took time to share my opinion.

Fifth: You said there may be some that like to discuss these issues. Yes you are right. I wanted to. I did not know you did not want a differing opinion posted on your thread. I thought anyone could stop and share their opinion even though it is different than the OP. Sorry I missed that memo on posting different opinions.

Sixth: You said "Why don't you simply ignore this thread, is there any reason you cannot do so?" Again I thought I had a right to read your thread and write an opinion. Hmm. Guess I needed your permission to post on your thread. I have never posted on a thread before where I had to get permission from the OP first. Again I missed that memo.

Seventh: You said "Do all of you hog the entire QRZ forums like your private domain to exert censorship and bullying, stalking, deflection, obfuscation, all things which have been deployed by various persons", What did I say to hog the whole forum and what did I say to, as you said "exert censorship and bullying, stalking, deflection, obfuscation, " by stopping here and giving my opinion on contests. You gave your opinion. Why am I not allowed to give mine without being accused of all kinds of nasty things?

Eighth: You said, "to put down those whose opinions, suggestions or questions you object to?" but it is OK for you to put down me cause you object to my opinion? Kind of a double standard to me!

Ninth: You said "Why don't you start your own thread in favour of your own views?" Well I always thought the point of a forum was to share ideas, thoughts, opinions, views, etc., but I did not realize your threads did not allow ALL opinions. Missed that memo too.

Tenth: Here is some food for thought----------------
    An opinion: a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge

Respond as you wish. You have my 10 bullet points.

John, WB0MPB

KS4W, WG7X and AA8TA like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.