Solid Copper 10 awg for a dipole?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WB1FZY, Nov 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WB1FZY

WB1FZY Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone ever used #10 solid copper for a dipole? i'm thinking of making a 40 meter diople with this wire because I have so much of it. It may give me a very broad band. I DO however understand that its heavy, but I have that covered. Thanks for all responses. -Pete WB1FZY

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I doubt you'll notice any more broad bandedness between 10ga and 14ga for example... such a small difference...

NH7RO, WA7PRC and K7TRF like this.
  3. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't know for sure, but I think solid copper stretches too much overtime.

WA7PRC likes this.
  4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In the real world, it won't be any more broadband than #14. The difference in conductor diameter is too small.

What it will give you is a dipole which is stronger and heavier than one made from thinner wire.

N2SR, NH7RO and K7TRF like this.
  5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have a lot of wire you can build a cage dipole--instead of just one thick wire you have two or more wires separated by spacers to form the equivalent of a much thicker wire.

NH7RO likes this.
  6. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope as others have posted you'd want to increase conductor effective diameter up to several inches or more to see noticeable increase in SWR bandwidth. Basically think about the effective size of a cage dipole for 80 meters with a set of conductors widely spaced. The good news is that even a thin wire dipole has plenty of SWR bandwidth on 40 meters so it's not an issue.

That 10 gauge wire would make some great loading coils, tuner coils or discrete traps resonated against some HV door knob caps if you get involved in any projects where those would be handy.

NH7RO likes this.
  7. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a 40m horiz dipole, 66ft long, 33ft above earth where the wire diameter is #22, #10, 0.25"dia, and 1" dia. Only slight difference between all of them...

swr1.png

W1TRY likes this.
  8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Note that, not only is the difference in VSWR bandwidth small, it's low with ANY non-loaded single-wire dipole on 40m. OTOH, it's a different story on 80m and 160m. I use a single-wire on 40m but, a 4-wire cage on 80m.

NH7RO likes this.
  9. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Know what you mean; I've caught that solid copper at the time clock more than once stretching his hours to add gobs of overtime pay!

10. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Better to save that #10 solid for capacity hat spokes (#8 is what I use after drill-twisting in a vise for extra stiffness). If you need more broadbandedness go with a cage as suggested above.