ad: ProAudio-1

Solar Xrays Oscillate D Layer Ionosphere

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KQ6XA, Nov 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K3GAU

K3GAU Ham Member QRZ Page

2. K3GAU

K3GAU Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know what is so "new" about solar xray flares affecting propagation and not just at VLF. A British ham wrote a program some years ago (SBSpectrum) and there are other pieces of software available as well that will allow you to look at the effects of flares, etc. on transmitted signals. I have used SBSprectrum for several years. All you need is a frequency stable rig or receiver and a computer with some sort of an audio card or interface. I usually monitor WWV or CHU signals. You can definitely see doppler shift on their carriers when there is a solar xray flare.

I am sure their measurements are much more accurate, etc. but you don't need a NASA budget to see the solar flares effect on propagation. :)

Dave K3GAU

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The oscillations are unexpected.

KQ6XA likes this.
  4. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I first heard about this possibility in the early 1980's and it's good to see it now demonstrated. There is allot of knowledge about the ionosphere that was first discovered beginning in the 1970's by Uncle Sam but has been lost to the annals of time because it became classified when first discovered and is still classified in 2017. stupid.

You can see similar things happening in our hamateur radio hobby. I have an ARRL antenna handbook published in 1968. I also have a 1988 version and the two barely resemble each other with much more useful information about antennas in the 1968 version.

One book series that has allot of great MF and HF radio wave propagation science and of course antennas for the hamateur is ON4UN's Low Band DXing.

For many years it was taught in hamateur radio that the D region disappeared after the sun set but that's totally incorrect. It's weaker at night than day but still there and absorbs RF signals on 160 meters in varying degrees. Energetic galactic cosmic rays stoke up the D region at both day and night and things will only get worse as solar cycle 24 fades away and more galactic cosmic rays penetrate into the inner solar system.

And the E region also still exists after sunset and blocks low TOA MF radio signals keeping the RF from reaching the F region.

W1YW likes this.