Solar Power RFI

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KD1XH, May 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD1XH

KD1XH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have what I believe is RFI from component(s) of my neighbor's Vivint installed system. This interference is broadband on HF every hour of the day. It doesn't completely trash my receive though. The worst interference in the ham bands is on 80m.

Not sure exactly what component it would be. Anything in my house was already ruled out, and last weekend the power was out for a short time after a squirrel suicide, so I think if it was any other electrical/electronics equipment, the noise would have gone away, but it was still present. Any ideas?

They tried to talk me into solar again. I said no way unless they get rid of this noise. I should hopefully at least find out for sure that's what it is and hopefully they will improve it.

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Typically you wouldn't have RFI from a solar installation at night though...

KK5JY and KD0CAC like this.
  3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

How did you rule it out? Kill the main breaker?

Do you have a battery backed telephone/TV system in your home? (maybe when you killed the main breaker EVERYTHING was not actually off?)

N8AFT likes this.
  4. KD1XH

KD1XH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have killed the breaker before. That helped me to find an issue in the past with a cable modem. I replaced my modem and the bands became much cleaner. This noise persisted when there was no power in the neighborhood. It's weaker when I walk with my HT (which can receive HF bands in AM mode) to the opposite side of the house (no solar on that neighbor's house). I guess it could be something else in there, but not sure how I could pose the question exactly.

5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you've only walked through your house with the HT, then get out and walk around the neighborhood with it. The noise might not be the neighbor you think it is.