ad: UR5CDX-1

Solar Power and RFI - Do this test even if you don't have Solar!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W6HDG, Nov 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W6HDG

W6HDG Ham Member QRZ Page

In general solar panels and the associated inverters used in solar power installations are free from significant RFI.

There is one disastrous solar power RFI exception and that involves solar power systems that use "optimizers" manufactured by a company called Solar Edge. According to the company, "The SolarEdge power optimizer is a DC/DC converter which is connected by installers to each solar module (panel) turning them into smart modules". The intent is to minimize module mismatch loss when there is partial shading of the panels, i.e., some panels are able to turn off so they don't degrade the system. The optimizers are interconnected in a big wire loop.

Before we discuss some of the finer points, I'd like to ask each ham reading this to tune to 14.198 during daylight hours. If you tune from 14.198 to 14.199 and hear a whooshing noise, it may be coming from a SolarEdge installation up to a mile away! Rotate your antenna and you may find signals from various directions like I did. In general, even distant solar installs can be heard every 200 Khz from 30 to 10 meters. If this noise disappears at night, you could be one of the unlucky hams with a SolarEdge installation in your area.

I know this problem first hand since there are now 9 SolarEdge installations in my neighborhood and at least one seems to be giving me S9 signals every 6 khz which disappear at the same moment the 14.198 signal drops out at dusk! I'm guessing this might be a system which uses battery backup and I'm trying to hunt it down. It is a scourge.

When Tony Brock-Fisher K1KP first reported the problem in April 2016 QST, Can Home Solar Power and Ham Radio Coexist? I read the article sympathetically but thought, "poor guy, must be rare or a one-off". Little did I know how popular SolarEdge optimizers would become. This is great for SolarEdge as solar installers love this system - especially since they can now install panels on different roof segments which orient the panels differently to the sun. But obviously this popularity has become very bad for us hams.

Perhaps you have received some RFI, but were unsure how to find the culprit. An award winning May 2019 QST article written by a fellow San Diego DX Club member and RF/Antenna engineer, Randy Standke KQ6RS, is entitled Identify and Track Down RFI. It discusses an ingenious loop antenna he uses to track down SolarEdge installs. I have built one myself out of necessity and it works quite well. See

So what about the company, SolarEdge? They have known about his problem since at least 2015 and did work out a deal with the ARRL and FCC that if an offending system is reported to them, they will fix it. In my area, they have responded and fixed 7 systems but in two cases the original installer has gone out of business and the homeowners have refused to allow SolarEdge to fix the system. MY RFI is still 10db over S9. So the problems are many:

1) As of this date installers are still installing systems with the "temporary fix" not being implemented (lots of ferrites, twisting of wires in the loop and better grounding). Why SolarEdge doesn't now require this on every new installation is beyond me.

2) The promise to fix offending systems presupposes that every ham knows where their RFI problem is coming from and who to contact. That is a big presumption that shouldn't obviate SolarEdge's need to install clean systems in the first place!

3) The ultimate fix would be to develop an optimizer that doesn't spew RF. SolarEdge has supposedly developed one but not released it in two years of seemingly empty promises.

4) The ARRL and the FCC have gone easy on SolarEdge and in my opinion let them get away with a terrible engineering flaw. Just because bench testing showed small levels of RFI produced by each optimizer, isn't SolarEdge responsible if they are creating a huge loop antenna on a roof as the optimizers are strung together?

I'd like to hear from anyone who finds that they have this RFI problem or has some connections with the ARRL or FCC to get this problem further reviewed. Feel free to post below.

Thanks and 73, Howard W6HDG

2. K7YMG

K7YMG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have experienced the same issues at my QTH as well over the HF range. SolarEdge Technologies is not in compliance with FCC rules under Part 15. The signal levels emitted are very strong and cover 7MHz to over 50MHz. I have at least 3 systems in my neighborhood. I have filed a complaint with the FCC and I encourage all hams to also file one. You can go to this link and find out how to do it on line. It is easy. https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/filing-informal-complaint If the FCC gets a number of complaints they will realize this is not an isolated case and give it more attention. So please file a complaint as soon as possible once you know you have an issue.

Some frequency ranges are worse than others. As you point out the 14.199MHz signal is strong and is every 200KHz over a large range. This is a good start to know whether you have the issue. I have made measurements of the signal levels and taken screen shots of the spectrum display to show the problem. If you or anyone else wants a PDF copy of this information I will email it to you. My QRZ email address is valid to request a copy of the data.

This issue is very wide spread so we, as hams, need to take action to get it corrected before HF becomes unusable. The issue is unacceptable and not allowed under FCC rules. There are also other users of the HF spectrum besides Hams. These include FEMA, Red Cross, Military, the US State Department and others. These installations can pop up anywhere solar makes sense to install. This includes commercial installations. Please stay informed on this issue, talk to other hams and file a complaint!

Thanks,
    Tom S.
    K7YMG

3. K1AC

K1AC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a solar edge system, and had one of their engineers (as well as the installer) come out and install fixes to mine. They added a lot of ferrites, but they do have a newer optimizer that they install as well. It supposedly uses spread spectrum technology to help alleviate the issues. My antenna is about 25 feet behind my house, and I have no issues with 14.198

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thr...out-to-fix-my-rfi-issues.663851/#post-5112890

4. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

5. W6HDG

W6HDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom, Travis and Art - thanks so much for posting. No doubt our spectrum is under attack. Maybe it is retribution for all the TVI I may have caused before cable TV :)

Travis, glad you have had a good result. Solar Edge has had these fixes for a while yet they have not released them to distribution which is still shipping cruddy equipment.

6. KK6JM

KK6JM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We just add a consult with a company that uses Solar Edge stuff. What can components can I suggest and push for them to install to address the interference?

7. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Use a genuine, Real -Deal string inverter.
    There is NO GOOD Reason to mount extra parts- Optimizers- or anything other than PV MODULES up in the weather.
    Rack the PV Modules, run proper gauge wire to the biggest NON Chinesium Grid Tie Inverter you can budget.
    .... "Solar Edge is consumer-grade junk."

8. AK6AR

AK6AR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a SolarEdge system with power optimizers and operate on the HF bands. The system emits debilitating RFI, even after SolarEdge "fixed" it. They replaced the original P400 power optimizers with the SP350 spread spectrum model in August and also installed ferrites. The result is arguably worse. On 20 m, their maintenance replaced a few strong peaks with many weak peaks. HF is still unusable for me on 20 m through 80 m.

Note that SolarEdge did the maintenance only after I hired a lawyer. Prior to hiring a lawyer, they spent 7 months giving me and the ARRL the run around.

Now they are back to giving me the run around.