ad: ProAudio-1

Solar Cycle 25 "heating up faster than expected"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5XS, Aug 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KK6JOL

KK6JOL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

M1WML likes this.
  2. KK6JOL

KK6JOL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree - SFI 73 again today. Not worth the time. I have a 5-element 10 meter Yagi in the garage waiting for the peak - 2025?

M1WML likes this.
  3. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't complain, we have a good sporadic E season this year, worked enough on 10 and 6 meters.

M1WML likes this.
  4. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Great news

M1WML likes this.
  5. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

We'll see. I say, welcome to the Meander Minimum, where it just varies within a small range on the low end for the entire cycle.

NK0V, WA8MEA and M1WML like this.
  6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Solar Cycle 25 heating up faster than expected

So, What Solar system are you in???? It is not here on Earth

K0UO Rhombic Antenna Farm is located at the Kansas QTH with over Two miles of Wire in the Air & On the Air, “The RF Gotta-Go-Somewhere"!

NK0V, K6VOX, WA8MEA and 1 other person like this.
  7. WA8MEA

WA8MEA Ham Member QRZ Page

This article is a JINX. Everything looked to be on the upward swing until "heating up faster than expected" made its public appearance. ;)

M1WML, WA9JOQ and AJ6KZ like this.
  8. K6VOX

K6VOX Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I'll stick to playing the lottery....odds are a "bit" better...

NK0V, M1WML, WA8MEA and 1 other person like this.
  9. W7RF

W7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

Just worked S51DX from my “back porch radio” setup. A nice 30 year old ICOM IC-751A that I just fixed into a 135 foot inverted vee, 40 feet apex at 2250z on 20M CW from Fort Collins, CO.
    Just an example of what can be had with a modest station in the meantime while we all ponder what Cycle 25 is gonna do.
    Be proud of accomplishments, use BRAIN decode modes!
    73, Dan W7RF

KC3JH, M1WML and AJ6KZ like this.
  10. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

:D

11. K1LH

K1LH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

S51DX has a lot of metal in the sky. I've heard them a few times on 20m SSB with a piece of wire from the PNW. However stations that hand out signal reports one after the other don't interest me so much. I prefer a 20 to 30 minute or longer QSOs :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    M1WML, AJ6KZ and (deleted member) like this.
  12. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

Janez is great. I got him portable with 20 watts on a hastily put-up dipole.

M1WML, K1LH and (deleted member) like this.
  13. W9JEF

W9JEF QRZ Lifetime Member #571 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Did you know that sunspots occur in pairs (north & south magnetic poles)?

Jim
    EARTH: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

M1WML and AJ6KZ like this.
  14. KQ9I

KQ9I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm gonna call 25 right now: It's going to be bigger and better than predicted, but by how much nobody knows. The article in Solar Physics that predicted SSN higher than 180....yeah, I could buy that. But it's not going to be a mega-cycle.

I definitely don't think it's going to be, as the initial predictions stated, about like cycle 24. For one thing, just look at all the past cycles: It almost never happens that the (peak smoothed) SSN declines 3 cycles in a row. Two, yes, but then there's usually an uptick. I think we're going to see an uptick.

We're barely out of solar minimum and you can see this: https://www.solarham.net/pictures/2021/aug28_2021_int.jpg

Disclaimer: I am not a solar physicist, and am talking out my rear-end. But, that said, if anyone knows a bookie in Vegas who will take bets on the maximum SSN for Cycle 25, I'd put down 50 bucks it will outstrip 24 significantly. Maybe even 100.

N3RYB and (deleted member) like this.
  15. W4WFL

W4WFL Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree 100%. I don't worry about the solar flux. I just get on. During a minimum I can work the world. You just have to adapt to the conditions. Life is too short to wait for the flux.

N5AQM, N7SBU, N3RYB and 1 other person like this.