ad: HamFM-1

Solar Charge Controller for 270 W/30.8 V/7.9 A Panel?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KE0KDQ, Aug 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE0KDQ

KE0KDQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an Italian-made solar panel on the way from the local discount spot and am in search of a battery charge controller for it.

Ideally, I'd have battery wattage/percent remaining as well as charge rate/solar percentage available displays.

Any help appreciated--thanks!
    KE0KDQ

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good luck.

Almost all of the cheap regulators are shunt type, which means the extra energy from the panel is dissipated as heat. The better ones are switching, and typically cost several times what the shunt ones cost. All of them product some RFI, and a few are REALLY (!) bad! You make your choice, and live with it!

By the way, don't rely on the panel delivering anywhere near the rated amount, unless placed in direct sunlight, and at the best angle to it.

3. KE0KDQ

KE0KDQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, K0BG, for the advice.

Sounds like I want an MPPT controller. Understood re: rated output vs. actual, but assume the components need to be compatible with maximum output potentially coming from the panel.

Any recommendations on a specific controller to use?

4. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No, it really isn't my forte. I do have a friend who is in the business, however, and been around a lot of repeater sites which use solar. I do know that you aim them for the best power using the winter solstice as a starting point. If you stop and think about its bit, you'll figure out why they do that.

5. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Outback, Magnum, Conext, MidNite Solar, Morningstar, and Blue Sky all make very nice MPPT charge controllers in different sizes. I have installed most of them. I have never studied their RFI potential.

6. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

PWM for a small all DC system.

MPPT is best suited for multiple large solar cells in series feeding a vast battery bank feeding an inverter

PWM is a bright high school kid who is into technology. like most of us were, I believe.
    MPPT is a college graduate with a scientific calculator in a well worn holster seeking to impress 7 0f 9 with his efficiency

and they are priced accordingly