Software for Antenna Analysis & Design

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by NN2X, Jun 9, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. NN2X

NN2X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HI Fellow Ham Operators

I have asked this questioned before, lost the response..

I need software program / analysis & design that is simple, yet does what I need.

I have a prototype for a mini Quad (10 meter), which simply uses coils in the horizontal planes (2 of them for each horizontal plane) It works great, about 50% less in size, however I loose a some on the forward gain, but at least what a Hex beam does, but half the size, and weighs about 2Lbps, and when I am supporting 10-20, it will weighs about 8Lbs. (This is for temp use, and transportable).

Now I need to input my prototype and see if the software matches my prototype results. The software requires to have the ability to enter the coils with the henry values.

It is amazing though (Prototype), I had it up at 10ft, and 10 meters was open, and FB was at least 20dB, and the gain was at least 3dBd It was of course better than the vertical I had and dipole....If you consider the ground gain, and presto about 8dBd (For the small Mini Quad)...But it weighs about 2Lbps...(Only for 10m, but I am guessing it will be about 8lbs, for 10-20, and half the size of the Hex Beam...All to cool to design! I designed this about 35 years ago, and wanted to put it together for those who want very light, antenna system, with gain...

Look forward to your responses. NN2X Tom

2. NK7Z

NK7Z XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KU3X likes this.
  3. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what I use, it works great.
    Barry

4. NN2X

Thanks Barry, who can speak to, about this program? FO rmy application I iwll have coils in the antenna, (I have to input Henry values), does this program allow for this?

And thank you !

Tom Wright NN2X

5. VA3RR

VA3RR Ham Member QRZ Page

6. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a link to your original thread.
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/software-modeling-for-hf-antenna-design.763333/
    You can re-read the comments there and the hyperlink in post #2 of that thread to another thread that has even more answers.
    This topic resurfaces frequently.

There are basically three antenna modeling tools that are popular with amateurs.
    1. EZNEC :
    Available in several tiers from a stripped down version that is free, but won't solve many even slightly complicated models, to more comprehensive versions that cost up to a few hundred dollars.

This is probably the most popular here in the US. Some folks think this this the easiest to learn. But in reality, none of these tools are easy to learn.
    It will take some significant effort to learn how to use any of them.

My recommendation if you are semi-serious is to download the free version. Watch a few demo videos on youtube and see if you can duplicate a simple one like analyzing a dipole antenna. If you have questions you can ask them here or on other more specific support sites.

If you get to this point and want to go on. You can buy the version you want.

2. 4NEC2
    This is free software. I like it personally and have used it a fair amount. It has a few bugs and quirks. But it is pretty solid and gives just as good results as any of the other tools when used appropriately. Some people say it is harder to learn. That is not my experience. But then again, I used the original NEC software with command line input decades ago.

If you like good graphics and built in optimization, then this gives those for free. It can support so many antenna segments, that you will probably never run out of capacity. If you do then you really need to be using some other professional tool. (None of these three).

If this appeals to you download the free software here https://www.qsl.net/4nec2/

3. MMANA
    This is also free software. It is a little more basic then the other two tools and does not support all of the frills. It does not have much selection for ground parameters. But it will give useable results. This is not so popular in the US. Probably it is the least favorite in terms of the overall numbers of users. Some people think this is the easiest to learn. But I think that unless you are pretty technical, and can figure things out yourself by reading or searching on the internet, that you will find fewer people to answer detailed technical questions about this on the antenna modeling forums.

Good luck with your experimenting.

7. NN2X

Harry, thanks! Here is what will determine which software I use, it is based on my application, which is I am adding coils in the antenna (In this case Mini Quad), I have the values of the coils in Henry, so i need to know, which of these software tools can I stick in the HORZ plane of the Quad element to see the results

I did this the hard way, 35 years ago, and have the prototype up and working...Only for 10 meters, it is only 2Lbps, and has a Foward gain 3dBd, and FB /over 20db, but half the size of a full quad, and about 50% less size than a HEx beam...But I need to have software tools verify my test results...

I look forward to your response

NN2X Tom...(And thank you!)

8. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Tom,
    All three of the tools I mentioned can support what are called LOADs. These can be inductors, capacitors, RLC networks in various configurations. You can define an inductive load on whatever wire segment you want and enter the value of the inductance you want in Henries.

You can even make it a variable inductor and sweep the value to optimize if that is what you want. Both EZNEC and 4NEC2 can support this kind of sweep.

I think any of these tools will support what you want to do. Probably not the free version of EZNEC. But you can try the free demo version and see if you can get to the point where you can analyze a dipole.
    In this way you can see if you can figure it out before spending money. A lot of people get stuck and quit before understanding how to run a fairly simple demo analysis.

9. NN2X

To all:

I spoke with Roy, from EZNEC, what a great fellow! He set me straight

I have to purchase the EZNEC Pro series (It can insert the coils in the Horz plane of the Mini Quad..), ALL VERY GOOD!

Thanks all for responding / NN2X Tom

10. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

wow. so the free version of EZNEC does not support LD cards? if that is true, that is yet another strike against EZNEC.