Software Defined VHF / UHF

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K6BBC, Sep 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KF6A

KF6A Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you won "#1 nationally" when operating from down inside the san fernando valley and not up on a mountain in a spot that is not available to all? Maybe that has more to do with it than concluding an SDR offers no advantages?

2. W7CLO

W7CLO Ham Member QRZ Page

To the OP, if you just want a receiver, the DVB-T dongles will let you get a VHF/UHF SDR up and running for about $15. That's hard to beat. My R820-based dongle does 24-1766 MHz.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah. The N6VI operations were atop Frazier Peak (8013').

The WB2WIK June VHF and August UHF 2010 operations were from home station in O.C. at 170' above sea level. In June, I was Division Leader and had highest SOLP score west of the Rockies; in August, I was "National Leader" in SOLP, highest score in the country -- from the home station.

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is why I'm interested in SDR for VHF/UHF - the potential is there for low cost devices. Look at the Baofeng HT's - these are little SDR's under the covers. There is a single chip that performs the transceiver functions over a very broad frequency range, with another microcontroller that runs all the radio functions and a handful of discrete components that do RF and audio amplification. The company that makes the chip for the Baofeng, which is FM only, also makes one that should be more general purpose, allowing you to do other modes.

When we can buy a nice 5 watt SSB rig for 2 meters for $50, they will be much more common than they are today.

5. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the link to W3SZ's excellent article. It has been saved into my archives.

73, Jim N3AWS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.