Software Defined Radio-Cheating??

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KF5UMC, Feb 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're playing in a contest or are chasing an award, the question of "cheating" depends on the rules of the contest/award.

Beyond that...if you feel a need to explain how your behavior is not cheating, it probably is "cheating". :)

That being said, I think that a valid two-way QSO requires TX and RX to occur from the same "station". Usually, that would require the receiving and transmitting antennas to be close to one another, but I can see how low band enthusiasts with their own remote-controlled receive sites might claim validity. (Compare with professional marine/aviation HF stations.)

Using a web SDR to "hear" a station you're trying to work that is inaudible at your station is a little skeezy in my book if some kind of bragging rights or sense of accomplishment is being sought...but it wouldn't matter if you're just trying to make contact for social chit-chat and don't care about whether it "counts".

N2EY, KA0HCP and OH2FFY like this.
  2. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are quite a few seriously confused people on QRZ that think looking at a DX cluster is cheating. I wonder if they hate the Yellow Pages ( historical reference they will understand ) as well and just walk up and down the street constantly waiting for the store they want to be built....

WN2C likes this.
  3. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or just dialing random numbers on the phone until they get the business they want! Kinda like calling CQ in hopes of working some really rare DX!

4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

1. I wouldn't call SDR cheating, but using a remote receiver via the Internet seems to me to completely defeat the purpose of hamming. If you have to use the internet to hear other stations, why not just spend your time on the internet, and talk to people other than just hams?
    2. SDR is all over the place. ARRL has books on it. Just do some web searches.
    3. Yes. I use an SDR locally (not on the internet) as a panadapter. Most new radios use the same DSP principles as are used in an SDR in the last IF.

W4JFA likes this.
  5. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

My 2 cents here, it all depends on what the S is doing in the SDR. If you have a physical device of some kind, with an antenna that can TX/RX directly on an amateur band I personally wouldn't call it cheating. The software is mainly just the front-end interface to it, handling tuning, signal processing and some other details. The evolution toward this began at least with the first EPROM's and embedded systems, up to current DSP rigs.

I would call it cheating if you're getting/sending signals from the internet, not on ham RF bands, from equipment not at your QTH or at least a club station.

6. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not just face time on your I phone. Much less expensive than SDR and you wont have to admit you don't know what all those knobs and buttons do.

W4JFA likes this.
  7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

The OP is using WebSDR - no SDR purchase needed.

Nothing wrong with using a remote receiver unless there is something wrong with using a remote receiver, like rules in a contest. If you're just having fun, well, have fun!

I bet folks thought the same thing when repeaters first came on the air, it cheating! How does it "completely defeat the purpose of hamming"? What is the purpose? I thought the purpose was to have fun, expand technical knowledge, push the state of the art, etc...

Steve
    KV6O

8. KK5JY

How does it expand technical knowledge to take a Skype connection, and tack 2m links on the ends?

9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Skype? I guess you haven't done this before...

Using VoIP to carry a 2M link is not what's being discussed here. A frequency agile, Software Defined Receiver could be passing AF, IF, heck, even direct baseband encoded RF over IP to your local system. I have done it using Raspberry Pi's attached to a USB RF dongle to capture a slice of RF - 200-300kHz wide - packaging it up and pushing it over IP to an SDR program running on another machine. A little more involved than using Skype. WebSDR is AF based, and the demodulation to AF is done at the receiver end and piped over the Internet due to bandwidth constraints, but not all remote SDR links are that way. Mine aren't.

It's easy to knock things you don't understand.

Steve
    KV6O

10. KK5JY

Sigh. :rolleyes: If you read my original comment, you would see that I was making a side comment on the specific use of remote receivers, since the OP's question wasn't entirely clear (to me) whether he was including remote SDRs in addition to local SDRs, so I was answering him both ways that his question might have been asked.

It's also easy to reply to comments without reading them. You should stop doing that. ;)