ad: AbAuRe-1

So you want to become a Ham?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N6AJR, May 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ok, guys.. look at it this way. How many techs do you know who bothered to renew their license? Take a look at how many calls are sacrified every month. Yeah, PR by local radio clubs do bring in some young bloods, but they don't operate and their licenses always expire. Trouble today is it takes 10 years for a license to expire, so ham radio's death is comparable with the sun going supernova. We would know it for seven minutes and we won't know by stats ham radio is dead for ten years.
    If you listen to HF what do you hear. I hear only two tyoe operators. Number one are retired and usually geriatrics of 70 plus years ragging with similar and the God awful, "CONTESTERS", who think 2000 watts and a rhombic and a high score on some contest makes them a class A person with A 1 Op status.
    As for code, what I don't understand is why FCC did not entirely do away with it as a requirement for HF because the 5 wpm as it exists is a joke. These people could not even send or receive SOS if their Yacht was taking on water and sinking in the Bermuda triangle.

2. N0FPE

N0FPE Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC did not do away with the 5wpm code because its REQUIRED by international law. Or did you miss that part?

Dan [​IMG]  [​IMG]

And by the way, I am not retired or a contester, and I use HF everyday for ragchewing with others just like me. Maybe you should tune around a bit more. [​IMG] And guess what! I dont hang out with one of the chic groups on 75 and still find plenty of folks to chat with....hmmmm makes you wonder what the heck you are talking abt?

[​IMG]

Dan

3. AB2OY

AB2OY Ham Member QRZ Page

if a person has a scanner and just so happens to come across 2 meter or 70 cm freq's that a net is taking place on,they just may find out where classes are being held and which club is offering them.
    then again,i heard about the classes by word of mouth. [​IMG]

4. N9TTX

N9TTX Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay, again must we beat to death the same old shtick abouteveryones gripes...why does it alway come out from ANY post on here. All those posting about the problems here and there especially hiwire or whatever your name/call? is, have NOTHING to do with the original post. Someone in the thread said this also. It was about how to become a ham...not how many problems, how many opinions, etc.. everyone can have. Save all that griping for a separate thread maybe titled "Gripe Here"? The original post was excellent and well thought out. I would also like to add to it with the mention of getting ahold of your local media this month and let them know so they can inform the public about where your local field day sites are going to be. This is an excellent way for those who have never heard of the hobby or have heard and still know nothing about it (I get laughs and such with the multiband HF antenna guyed down to the top of my station wagon)...I joke with them and explain it when I can and let them hear the world. I will be contesting in a public park (Elk Mound Hill) in the Eau Claire/Menomonie Wisconsin area...if any are in the area come on up and visit and sit in if you wish.

As for comments on various areas of the original post, Antennas are fun. I use a ventenna on the house for 2 meter, and I have a 20 meter dipole with a 6 meter (no 6 meter radio yet) add on up only 8 feet inside my shed. I can work 2 meter, and HF thru 80 meters with this setup. My car looks like a lightning rod. I have a 2, 10/11, 10/15/20/40/80 (pro-am5) meter antennas on the car. Thank goodness it is an older wagon which gives a lot of space up above and lots of room for rigs inside. The truck is not much better with 102" whips and large coiled antennas. I love older rigs yet also like the solid state for convenience. My Yaesu 101E has great sound and punch (along with that wonderful tube smell--combine it with the old Halicrafters 8 channel CB base that I fire up once in a while to keep things warmed up..Oh yeah!..*LOL*) The solid state rigs are good for quick setups and are more compact, but all work excellent.

As for information on the various bands, if one has a love for contesting and talking fairly effortlessly on a worldwide scale, HF is great. You will find many people on SSB (sideband) everywhere. I need to brush up on my code skills as they are rusty, but they are there. For those with no HF priviledges (30 Mhz and below), 6 meters is a great way to go...and if one can find a SSB 2 meter rig, more power to you. A fellow ham and good friend is no-code but has gotten many awards and certificates for his accomplishments on 6 meter and up. I have chatted with him on simplex on 2 meters for a distance of 75 miles. Me with 50 watts mobile, and him with about 50-100 watts on a ringo vertical at home. plus the antennas for VHF/UHF are smaller and will give good practice in building and give excellent performance in a comparatively compact package. One can also work sattelites and moonbounce for contacts, as well as work packet if that trips ones trigger. I wont even get into the gigahertz rigs and antennas. There is a world of possibilities, and each person finds their own little comfy corner in the hobby, so opinions are helpful, but don't let conflicting opinions bother you.

These additions I have posted are just some extra food for those that may want to look into the hobby and may be curious about what can be done. There is a world out there to talk with, and people out there to help you along on refining your skills and in experimenting. Help someone get their license, in the hopes of that someone carrying on and elmering another into the hobby. As N6AJR said. it isn't about radios, it is about people.

See you all on the bands.

Dave N9TTX

5. KC8TDP

KC8TDP Ham Member QRZ Page

Gentlemen,

I have been a ham for only a short period of time. In Feb 02 I got my Tech and in April I got my General. I was first attracted to ham radio by the mystique of HF. When I decided to try for a licence I knew I was going to have to jump the code hurdle to get on HF. In my ignorance I thought I was going to have to pass a 13 wpm test to get a General licence. None the less I decided to go for it. I went to an internet search engine and started searching for ham radio sites.
    Needless to say I was bowled over by the staggering amount of sites and info there was to be sifted through. After a bit I stumbled onto sites like QRZ, ARRL and Eham.net. Through these sites I found a most amazing truth. No longer were there such beasts as 13 and 20 wpm code tests. Mind you I was mentaly prepare to aquire the skills needed to leap those hurdles but alas there was but one hurdle( in my mind) in the form of a 5 wpm code test. One thing led to another and now I have a General class ticket.
    Now that I am here in the land of Ham I find it a bit curious. First off it is everything I had wished it to be and more. I am gaining confidence in making contacts without sounding "stupid". I am checking in weekly with a net on twenty meters for missionaries and those wishing to support them moraly or otherwise. I am happy with my decision to become aHam. "I am a Ham!!!"
    The part that I find curious is the number of hams who would say I am not a TRUE ham because I did not take the same test that they did or because I choose to participate in the same facet of the hobby that they do.
    When I was growing up my dad and my older brother tinkered with cars all the time. They even ventured into the realm of hot rods a little bit. It was evident that they were automobile enthusiasts. In there circle of fellow entusiasts there were Ford men and Chevy men. There were hot rod men and stock men. There were antique men and modern men. There were street car men and race track men. And so it goes, if there was a facet of automobile enthusiasm there was a man for it. Even so each and every one of them was and automobile enthusiast!!
    So my question is why so much infighting in such a great hobby as ham radio. Amateur radio is Amateur radio regardless of each man's prefered frequency or the equiptment he uses to utilize said frequency!!
    I do not consider myself a prophet but mark my words the day will come when each one of us in the hobby will be thankfull for the other guy in the hobby who operates on a different mode than we do, even if it's when he sees the call sign window sticker in our car and thus feels compelled stop and help us change that flat tire!!!!!!!
    I feel honored to be a part of such a great hobby that not only allows us to have a good time but also gives us the ability to help others in so many ways. The NTS alone is reason enough to become a ham. To know that I might someday be a vital link of communication in someone else's desparate atempt to locate a loved one or in helping to save some one's life makes me proud to be what I am. A Ham!!!!
    Some of you will poo poo me as needing to climb down from my holier than thou pedestal. But that is just the point I am not up on a pedestal but standing on the same level ground as the rest of you out there in Ham Land. Each of us have been granted the privilages needed to be able to have fun and to help others in the ways I have described.
    Too much fun to be had and too many people to help to be bickering and fighting with in the ranks!!!!!

73 KC8TDP Charles

6. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Those who blame the newcomer to our hobby for the changes made in restructuring are a major part of the problem with the hobby today. Someone said, these people took the test that was required of them to become a ham, just as I did, 46 years ago. The test is different, but that is not their fault. I accept that as being fact.

Enjoy the hobby. Take it as it is, for it isn't going back, and it is going to change again, and again quite dramatically. Be prepared, enjoy today.

And stop the darned fighting!! Don't blame the "new ham radio" on the "new ham." It isn't his fault.

Ed

7. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MattBeers @ June 03 2002,01:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For making friends with local people, I get a whole lot more variety by going on day hikes, spending time in parks, and even heading out to the pub for a beer.  VHF and UHF for meeting interesting new people?  Phooey!  For meeting new people, HF is where it's at, because I'm not likely to meet them in any other local pursuit.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    As for meeting new people locally I agree going to school board meetings, hiking or some community club activity is better for meeting "interesting" people.

Your comparison of CB and Ham Radio are good. In fact the people on CB are a bit more vulgar, but could never match the obsenities on 75 prior to the activation of Mr . Riely H et-al. ! As for getting a chuckle CB is sometimes a better past to SWL.

To suggest a local repeater clique is open to new people is a laugh. The only way you can even get these zenophobes to answer a call is kiss their butt and join the local radio club. Usually that means caughing up money for the club. Then they may finally get to know your name.

I recall trying to get involved in an HF net a few years ago as I got back into HR. The club ( 3905 CC) is so full of self appointed big mouths that no one, but them can speak and further after a full year of playing their "littlegame", they had NOT learned either my name or my state.

Now, those are the kinds of people that warm the inner chambers of your heart, tight ? [​IMG]

8. N8PCA

N8PCA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well... here we go again. More of the same old "if you dont know CW.. you aint chit" How stupid it all sounds. Again, the same old VHF/UHF bashing mentality. How stupid it all sounds. Some Hams just wont ever stop it with they're supremacist attitude will they?? Why wont they ever understand that if ANY Ham chooses not to operate below thirty, than that is they're buisness and not yours?? Those that criticize the no code or five wpm crowd.. must have a really bad self esteem problem. (Put others down to make me feel big and strong!&#33[​IMG] Iv'e been licensed long enough to see that this is an on-going problem that is just getting worse. This is the ONLY hobby I have ever seen where there is so much blatant bashing of others with intent to sound bigger and better than tho. So much in-fighting. How many prospective Hams have had the for-sight to see this before hand and move on?? Its getting to the point for me.. after listening on-air and reading some of the rediculous posts of supposed supremacy, that I realize that I had a hell of alot more fun years ago on 11m. These folks dont act like some of the Ham crowd. They just play radio and have a good time without all the in-fighting. Knock it off and grow up. [​IMG]

9. K1ZC

K1ZC Ham Member QRZ Page

A few, I hope productive, comments:

1. Despite assertions to the contrary, there are quite a few Tech renewals. Hop on over to the AH0A site and look at the statistics; about 2000 renewals a month versus 1000 expirations of Tech licenses. I have a hard time concluding that this signifies a lack of interest with 66% of licensees renewing.

2. There are 100-125 new General and Extra licenses a month. Most of those are Techs that upgraded. As for the rest of the Techs that didn't upgrade - who cares? There is lots of fun and games in the world below 6 meters and if that is what they enjoy, who are we to complain.

3. Yes, there are a bunch of new 5 WPM folks on HF, but most people that use CW on a regular basis don't stay 5 WPM for very long. No reason they should feel unwelcome.

I think the experience Matt describes is a little closer to reality. When I got my ticket, the only thing my local club wanted to know was when they could come over to my house and help me erect my antenna. I have met nothing but great hams willing to help the new guy; I am still waiting to meet my first OF.

10. K8CPA

K8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DocRF @ June 01 2002,12:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">God Bless, Charles,

Doc[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    This guy sounds like some homosexual Christian Nazi wierdo...

Get  ur nose out of the bible and wake up and smell the coffee.

[​IMG]

11. WB6FTI

WB6FTI Guest

In my opinion, the original post was excellent; I support it 100%. And even though I don't use Morse, I don't mind the slight CW emphasis, as it can still be used to save one's own hind end. (I recall the story of a marine operator who listened, annoyed, to a boat keying a radio over and over without talking - until he realized it was Morse, paid attention, and helped rescue a fellow boater. Seems the guy's mike element shorted out, but he was smart enough to realize this and use the PTT as a crude key.)

I think some of the posts that followed are ungentlemanly, full of rancor and sarcasm. Perhaps the posts would "flame" less if we toned down that aspect. (Note K8CPA's remark above.)

12. AD6WL

AD6WL Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (highwire @ June 03 2002,03:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">To suggest a local repeater clique is open to new people is a laugh. The only way you can even get these zenophobes to answer a call is kiss their butt and join the local radio club. Usually that means caughing up money for the club. Then they may finally get to know your name.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Most open repeaters are open to new people.  Just like in life outside of radio, it often takes time to get to know people before you feel comfortable with them.  You may not get immediate satisfaction.  Did YOU take steps to get to know them?  Or do you want them to do all the work.

What is so hard about coughing up money for a club?  Most clubs dues are between $12-$20 a year.  Do you think that these repeaters just pop out of nowhere?  They cost money and they require installation and maintenance.  Have you helped in that part or do you just say gimmie gimmie gimmie?

Did you ever think that some older hams are getting somewhat tired of SOME of the new hams who get their ticket and expect everything handed to them?  
    Sure, you can use the repeater.  It would be nice if you helped pay some dues or with maintenance.  
    You want to participate in field day?  Great!  Can you help setup antennas or generators or get the cookout going?  Or, do want to just stop by and operate for an hour get some grub and go.  How about helping to tear down when field day is over?  Or are you too busy?

Remember, respect and helping out is a two way street.  If you take the first steps and put forth the effort you usually get the favors returned ten times over.

73, Jim
    AD6WL

13. KC0ADP

KC0ADP Ham Member QRZ Page

As far as the cw part goes, yes, I'm a little(?) rusty on it and working to increase my proficiency.  Why?  Because it's a challenge.  Same reason I tried to learn sign language, Spanish, German...  Sadly, most people want instant gratification and tend to give up when something gets a little difficult.  

The biggest part in the cw argument that gets me is those that say you are not a "real ham" unless you work cw.  Those are the ones I ask, " How many of those cw contacts did you make and how many did your computer make?"  My 10 year old daughter can figure out which key on the keyboard to press to send a CQ and which one to send the reply..  I'll use the computer to help me learn code but don't expect me to have it hooked up to the radio just so I can work high speed and have my computer rack up a lot of contacts during a contest...   [​IMG]

KC0ADP

14. NQ4S

NQ4S Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes I think I'm one of the few people who actually went into Ham Radio as a technical pursuit.  After starting out with a simple goal, communicating with the Space Station, I found it was interesting just to learn.  It caused me to go from zero on 15 April of last year to Extra on 8 September.

To see how this happened, take a look at a diary of how this happened.

Morse Code I learned because it was requried.  The rest I learned because it was desired.  If more was shown in the schools about the various things that can be done, we would see a lot more people getting into it.  Also, having some small piece of HF opened to the Techs might get more of them to stick around.  Give them just a few KHz on 10 and 20.  Once they get a taste of real DX, they are more likely to buckle down and learn the code and study for the General Exam.

Some may find More Code really interesting.  Others may gravitate to the digital modes.  Just get them started, and don't keep them contained.

-- NQ4S (Del)

15. N8PCA

N8PCA Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MattBeers @ June 03 2002,11:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N8PCA @ June 03 2002,05:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well... here we go again. More of the same old "if you dont know CW.. you aint chit" How stupid it all sounds. Again, the same old VHF/UHF bashing mentality. How stupid it all sounds. Some Hams just wont ever stop it with they're supremacist attitude will they?? Why wont they ever understand that if ANY Ham chooses not to operate below thirty, than that is they're buisness and not yours?? Those that criticize the no code or five wpm crowd.. must have a really bad self esteem problem. (Put others down to make me feel big and strong!&#33[​IMG] Iv'e been licensed long enough to see that this is an on-going problem that is just getting worse. This is the ONLY hobby I have ever seen where there is so much blatant bashing of others with intent to sound bigger and better than tho. So much in-fighting. How many prospective Hams have had the for-sight to see this before hand and move on?? Its getting to the point for me.. after listening on-air and reading some of the rediculous posts of supposed supremacy, that I realize that I had a hell of alot more fun years ago on 11m. These folks dont act like some of the Ham crowd. They just play radio and have a good time without all the in-fighting. Knock it off and grow up.  [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    John, talk about kettles calling pots black...

So far on here, I haven't seen any cw-bashing or no-cw bashing. It's been pointed out that only 66% of the no-code techs renew.  66% may be more than half, but it's a far cry from the 90+% of other licensees that renew.  And, of the 66% that do renew, I'd bet not many of them are active.

If you want to re-interpret this as bashing no-code, then you're perfectly entitled to mis-interpret anything you want.

The issue being discussed in these posts is how to get a better participation and renewal from the no-code techs, and the idea presented is to somehow help them get involved in more than one facet of the hobby.

Nobody here said "if you don't know cw..."  Nobody bashed VHF/UHF, they just observed statistical realties.  And so far, your postings and those of K8CPA (you two write with the same style, and make the same grammatical and spelling errors - are you related?) are the only ones with frequent vulgarities and sexual innuendo.  I believe you said you came to HR from CB?  It appears that you have not yet taken on the norms of the HR society at large, and that's why you're having difficulties fitting in.  I think if you jettison the vulgarities and overtly competitive manner,  you'll find yourself more accepted.

Now try to get over your own ego and self-esteem issues, then you won't "read" bashing into things that aren't bashing, and you'll notice a lot fewer people who are attempting to be "supreme" - that concept is in YOUR reading of them, not their writing.

MB[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Wow!! you are dense. If someone does not agree with your "Im perfect and you are a moron" attitude.. you retaliate like a child. Apparently, your small brain can not detect the under-tones of the "Im better than you because I know CW " currents in some of these posts. Most likely because you are part of the problem. Grow up BOY. Stop showing other people how childish you really are. Maybe this hobby really IS dieing because of people like you. Your bashing of K8CPA is further proof of your "better than tho" attitude. Your chit dont stink eh?? Well, you NEVER spell a word wrong do ya?? No, I started on 11m and came to HR. Problem with that mr. supremacist? Actually, I have always got along with ALL hams that I have met along the way in HR.. as you put it. The only descrepancy is the Repeater God mentality of my local club that I soon got out of. They are too much like your self. Perfect... with NO sin. They're chit has no smell. Smell ya later....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.