So, where to listen on 6M?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC3RN, Feb 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What kind of antenna??

I could call CQ on six 24 hours a day with a vertical and never find anybody.

The beam at 62' does, and makes contacts every day on six.

2. KJ4TX

KJ4TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a 4 element yagi at about 30 feet... not the best but to add 2 more elements the price jumps way up and I'd have to get a more solid mount. If I had it at 62' I could extend my line of sight changes by a few miles and would probably at least double the number of zero contacts I've made on digital. :D

I think everyone knows that 6 meters is mostly only good for local stuff now and aren't listening to it like they do during the summer, so I'd probably be the most surprised of the two of us if someone actually replied to my JT65 on 6 meters. It gives me a chance to crank up the power though and blow out all those digital bits stuck in the coax from running such low power on the other bands. :D

Mike

3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

6 land may be worse than PNW for magic band. We're camping out this week, tomorrow I'll assemble a new 3el beam for 6m. Please look for me. We will try 125 SSB, 260 MS, 290 JT. Bands are crummy, I don't care, running anyways.

4. KJ4TX

KJ4TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll keep a listen for you. I usually send out about 10 CQ's at a time when I'm on 6 meters, but it will be late afternoon after I get home from work during the weekdays.

Mike

5. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Ham Member QRZ Page

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

When there's "DX" activity and it's reported to the site, the map shows both ends of the contacts (by callsign and location) with a line between the two point showing the routing for the contact.

6m isn't open right now (1830 UTC today) so the map is blank. But if you click on 28 MHz like this http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?Lan=E&Frec=28&ML=M&Map=NA&DXC=N&HF=N&GL=N it shows all kinds of activity and contacts being made, right now, on 10m.

7. WB0MPB

Got it. Thanks
    John, WB0MPB

8. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi John,

I went to the Map today 03/03/2016 and only saw one contact but it wasn't all that bad:

2016-03-03 20:40
    DF7GB (JN49CX) 50.000 W4IT (EM84XP) 7151 km ? CW 2 DB 7 WPM DX
    Date Time Station Grid Sq Freq. Station Grid Sq Mileage Mode

You can find this info in the upper right hand corner of the webpage under LIST and the Map will show a Line from the W4IT Location. The first 100 KHz is CW Only 50.00 to 50.10 MHz, from 50.10 to 50.20 MHz is the DX Window, at 50.20 is the National Calling Frequency and above 50.20 MHz is for General Rag Chewing except when the 6 m is Open then you'll find Local & DX Station using the Frequencies. 50.40 MHz is designated for AM transmissions.

Dan
    WA9WVX

9. WB0MPB

Someone else told be the calling frequency is 50.125. So is that wrong info?
    John, WB0MPB

10. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WVX:

For years, the ARRL promoted 50.200 MHz as "the" calling frequency on 6-meters. However, virtually every other group as well as virtually every amateur radio operator who actually operates on 6-meters, use 50.125 MHz as "the" calling frequency. Finally, the ARRL abandoned their calling frequency and has adopted 50.125 MHz as "the" calling frequency.

This is indicated on their present "band plan" for 6-meters which can be found at the following URL:

http://www.arrl.org/band-plan

Glen, K9STH