So, where to listen on 6M?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC3RN, Feb 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

I knew a guy back in the 1980's who kept a 6m ssb rig in his living room on all the time so he wouldn't miss any openings. Kept it on the calling frequency with the volume kept low enough it didn't bother the family too much. My wife would never let me do that.

2. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I had my first 6M QSO's yesterday afternoon! I had the radio parked on 50.125, and heard someone calling CQ. I answered, and we had a nice chat. Just when we were signing, another station signed, and we chatted for a bit as well.

Both were local contacts, but in two new grid squares for me! Actually, my only grid squares......;)

The second station was a pretty experienced 6M guy, and had some good suggestions, and was very encouraging. I've been a ham for over 20 years, but have never worked 6M before. I'd forgotten what a blast making your first contact is.

W7UUU likes this.
  3. N2SLO

N2SLO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good luck on 6M. Do some research on E's and when the band may open. Typically for us, April to early August is when significant E's is present, and you can work DX and many new grids. Peak time is Mid June to Mid July (at least based on my historical logs and contests). If you want SSB, as mentioned 50.125-50.200 is a good place to look for contacts and nets in your area. Horizontal a must for SSB. Just some high level suggestions. Over the last 10+ years, I have worked over 200+ grids. The band can be dead for months, then TEP or E's can appear. Aurora is also another method. A good book is G3XTT "6 Metre handbook" as a starting point. Provides good information. David

4. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fortunately don't need to anymore, just have DXMaps on your cell phone and it will notify you when the band is open in your area.
    I have had the pleasure of working 2 of the posters here on 6 , N2SLO & KM3F (as well as 20 &10).

6 is a great band, the magic band but only on occasion. To really reach out on ground wave and enjoy the band you need a beam with a punch at a decent height and some power. If not it's still a lot of fun when the band opens, CW will be much more productive for a moderate set up.

5. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

I get "No results for DXMaps" in the app store. Where do you get it?

6. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

7. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You set it up and set the filter for only 6 meter , your grid square, etc you can then set it to Email you when there is a band opening and it will Email you telling you what type of opening it is and the beam heading to try. There will also be a link on the Email, you can click on the link and it will take you to a map showing the stations that are on the cluster with a line drawn between the stations that have worked.

Great when your around home, get the Email and find out that 6 is open to Europe, SA, or somewhere you need:). Frustrating if it happens and your out and about with no possible way of getting to the shack:mad:.

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

6 Meters can be a challenge, and often frustrating, but many times, there is a propagation event that goes unrecognized, because everyone is only listening. GIVE a call or CQ every once in a while, and you may be surprised.

I remember, several years ago, when I was working at home, and I was monitoring 6 M (50,125 MHz) in the bacground, and heard a weak, but discernible signal. calling CQ. I responded, and his signal came up well above the noise. So I answered with my puny dipole an 10 Watts, and contacted Costa Rica. After I finished, the DX station continued to call CQ for at least another half hour with no other takers. The band WAS open, but nobody else was listening. You can't work them if you don't listen for them.

9. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You might try JT65 on 6 at 50.290. I've had some surprising QSO's there just letting my rig call CQ until I get an answer.

10. KJ4TX

KJ4TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been calling CQ off and on all over this 3 day weekend on JT65 and JT9 and didn't get a single response on 6 meters. But that's pretty normal for the PNW as we are in a 6 meter positive pressure black hole that pushes all of the 6 meter signals away instead of sucking them in like other parts of the US seem to have. I'll keep trying off and on though, just in case.

Mike