ad: hrd-2

So, where to listen on 6M?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC3RN, Feb 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, but I'm really new to 6 meters... I've been listening on various frequencies, but other than some very infrequent FM repeater activity, I've heard nothing... So my newbie question is where should I be listening to fo CW or SSB activity? I know CW is at the bottom of the band, but what are the popular watering holes? SSB also.

I'd like t get active on 6M, but there doesn't seem to be anyone to talk to around here.

2. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

6m beacon list: http://www.keele.ac.uk/depts/por/50.htm

SSB calling frequency: 50.125 (domestic) and 50.110 (DX).

You will spend a lot of time listening to nothing. Since this cycle has been a major disappointment for F2 propagation, that leaves Sporadic E. You should also have minimum of a 3-element beam

Best times of the year for 6m are generally May through September.

3. KC3RN

Thanks Jim. Listening to 50.125 now. It's as good a place to "park" as any!! Using a dipole right now, but a small beam may be in my future....

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The beacons are below 50.080 and all CW. When you hear a beacon, look it up to see where it is -- although most do send their grid square along with callsign.

When you hear beacons more than a few hundred miles away, the band's open, at least in that direction.

Even a dipole will be quite directional on six meters, so if you don't rotate it, you're missing about half of what's out there to hear.

WB5YUZ likes this.
  5. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Activity depends on locality for local activity, propagation for long distance.
    The antenna should be a beam and as high as you can get it.
    A 3 element beam would be minimum worthwhile, in my opinion.
    Easy to build with hardware store alum and parts.
    Here in eastern Pa, we have a Sunday night AM net on 50.400, and an FM simplex net on 51.00 mainly for military equipment users or anyone who checks in.
    Otherwise try to get some others interested and use the band.
    From my location in the Lehigh Valley, I am heard in lower N.Y. state with 25 watts on AM or well more than 100 miles on my home made 3E beam.
    Point is, few take the initiative to try getting interest.
    There are a few getting equipment ready for the 220 band, in my area.
    Think 6m is difficult, try 220.
    There is little equipment and amplifiers to find without costing more than they should.
    Antennas are about the cheapest item for 220.
    I just run my station on the VHF/UHF contest weekend with 20 watts and a 9 element beam.
    Now working out a harness to stack 2 beams and finding or building an amplifier for 220.
    Why/ all because it's ham radio and the challenge of accomplishment for me.
    If more don't do it nothing will advance.
    Even the HF bands are taking a dive. A couple evenings ago 40 was a bit noisy and no one on, so I setup on 7.215 and called CQ.
    I had 3 responses, Ore, Ca, Mt., Fla. These west coast stations were beside themselves making contact 3000 miles back east on 40m.
    Just have to get in and do it.
    The reward results is the payback for your investment.
    Good luck.

KC3BZJ likes this.
  6. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KC3RN

Thanks for the info. All very interesting. I really like the DX maps link. I also like the idea of starting a net, at least on the local level to start with.

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

You might find some activity in your area on FM such as 52.525 simplex monitor it here in the shack but not very active unless the band opens.

9. N9DG

N9DG Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KE4VNC

KE4VNC Ham Member QRZ Page

What time on Sunday? We also have a net in central NC at 7. There's a group in Florida that does the same and we've heard them a couple of times.

AB2HS likes this.