ad: chuckmartin

So Where Is the FTDX-101D??

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA4DPO, Jan 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Right.. I look at the close in dynamic range last. It is very easy to take all of the other specs for one, or several radios, and draw a picture of comparative performance. The 3000 just isn't all that good, especially when a 40 year old Drake whoops it.

2. N3RTD

N3RTD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Enjoyed the chat but I got to go, 73, and by the way I figured you must be an Icom guy, because you likely never have used a yaesu, if you did you would likely change brands. Yaesu is famous for their low noise floor recievers, of course we are talking about the mid level and higher radios. And their sensitivity, read the contester forums most contesters prefer the yaesus, and always have, because they are the best bang for the buck and they out perform the rest, my Ten Tec is the only one I have that beats it in my shack but of course I cannot afford the 5000 which is loads better

3. N3RTD

Drake
    Drake is one of the best receivers ever made by anyone, and I am old enough to know that, dont bad mouth the drake.

K4AGO likes this.
  4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought a brand new TR4CW in 1978, sold a KWM2 to get it and it was one of the best buys I ever made. I currently own a B Line that I restored some years ago and have no plans to let them go. I too am old. As for Yaesu, I had an FT-1000D and it was a really great radio, the last really good rig Yaesu made until the FT-5000. I simply don't think their latest offerings have been all that good is all. Some guys like Fords and some like Chevy's, I like the all as long as they run.:)

N3RTD likes this.
  5. N3RTD

You are correct my friend it is like Ford and Chevy, but there are truth to bias also, Ford always was the work horse where chevy is the comfy ride but they both have there place Hi, well yes the radios from our past are great and I still use mine here. Also yes Yaesu have their problems, I hate their noise blanker , not the noise reduction but the NB, they need to improve the circuitry there because right now the NB allows filter blowby if there is a trashy transmitter nearby, but works well when there is clean close by signals. For the most part I dont need the noise blanker due to being in mountain forest/ farm country. Like you I have owned all brand names and have my favorites, but brand names arent important. There is really only one brand name I have a preference for and that is Ten Tec I had an Orion II and it really was by far the best receiever I ever had, beats them all, my Omni VII is great also bu the orion was king. I love the QSK on my ten tec gear. I like elecraft but really I prefer Ten tec Icom and yaesu over Elecraft. They are far too expensive for what you get. I really did enjoy our debate I have fun with that sort of thing especially with fellows like you who have been around a while and can handle the back and forth. I had to go out in the mud and collect the eggs on my farm so needed to run earlier, hope to talk with you on the air one day, you can find me every week day on NORCARS, 7.197 of course depending on if our normal frequency is clear we may be up or down the band. Great talking with you, and Lord bless

6. K4EI

K4EI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Says the man who owns a TS-890, right? Oh. No, of course he doesn't.

There's brand loyalty. There's confirmation bias. And there's the inevitable personal preference (which, ahem, usually ties back to what we bought). We're all guilty of it. The good news is that we're so fortunate to live in a time when we have such splendid choice, across so many different manufacturers.

Alas, repeatedly slagging on a brand doesn't suggest discernment. Particularly if you've never owned it.

7. N3RTD

Absolutely we do have alot of options today, by the way I never said I bought one but have operated one. I like some of the features but still I have ears and didnt like the hash. There was a video on youtube of the ts890 demonstrating the noise reduction amd a weak signal, the fellow said he had the NR on full, and it sounded very watery, and the weak station was very weak but just copiable , he turned off the NR and it got so loud even he placed a graphic on his own video, OUCH!!! My ears!! In red, a few comments were left under the video, mentioning the loud noisey receiver, he deleted the video along with three others showing this fact. And my experience sitting down in front of a demo model was the same. His name was Tom Arnold in case you want co firmation, deleted the videos instead of an honest reporting of the radios short comings

8. HB9PJT

HB9PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

No, the TS-890 is not old technology. The TS-890 uses the technology that is required to achieve such good technical values. Icom uses similar technology in the IC-7851 and achieves similar values. The cheaper IC-7610 uses a simpler and cheaper technology, which is reflected in the measurement results.

9. N3RTD

Yes you are correct on the quality of parts in the radios, and I really do not disagree with your opinion on the performance of the radios you mentioned in comparison to the 7610, but what I really would like to say is the price tag per performance benefit is the issue. Plus the IC7851 albeit a high end relatively new radio, is yesterday, I actually prefer the superhets , but really what I am referring to in regards to my statement, old technology, is the fact that Until this most recent offering Kenwood has not came out with anything new and exciting since 2004, ts590 variations asside. Then Icom creates a fire storm of interest with their Ic7300 and then the IC7610, but Kenwood doesnt offer this new technology, but retains the old architecture, with some new tech mixed in but none the less it still isnt enough. Because first the price, one receiver with the price of the ic7610, which has two. The FtDx 5000 costs 1000 less it has two recievers. The roofing filters are optional also. It does have great selectivity but I beleive for the money and seeing what others are offering they better step up and bring out something like the Icom and yaesu offerings. Icom has beat the curve and it is going to be hard to catch up by either Yaesu and Kenwood. I am only saying that SDR it seems is the future and that really is what I meant by old technology. Finally I never did like Icom radios though I have owned a good many over the years. But it is hard to deny they are really putting out some amazing things lately. I do have sdr radios, but I prefer the older texhnology Superhet and so on, but the reality is that if Kenwood doesnt offer something like Flex, Icom, and hopefully after the Yaesu gets its act together and the fcc authorizes the new offering, they will be left gar behind. I own alot of Kenwood gear here, so my opinion isnt brand name biased as the last person said of me, I actually own the following, kenwood ts820, ts830, ts140, ts440, ts450, ts50, and love them all. But still the old saying step up or be left behind still is my opinion. And that isnt even worth a cup of coffee but it still is my opinion

10. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

Just found this on UK dealer site (Martin Lynch)

Price Confirmed
    Yaesu FTdx101D only £3149.95! Available April 2019