So, what's up with 7040?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB5YUZ, Jan 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Squeezing Out the CW Operators
    I noticed the 40 M QRP freq was moved to 7030 some time ago, maybe to accomodate some new DIGI mode (yes it was).
    It seems like a new DIGI mode comes out avery few months and becomes the hottest thing around and then they demand their own "watering hole freq " and before long CW ops get squeezed tighter for open frequences to use !!! :eek:
    Lately I hear plenty of DIGI signals crowding up just below 7055, tht's the primary "Watering Hole" on 40 M, for SKCC events.
    Who is counting, but I believe there are about a Dozen or more varieties of DIGI modes in current use, each requiring a different software , i'm sure.
    When I first considered trying Digi , My son found a program and sent it to me to load and try, It can decode only one out of all the modes used now. the "dashboard" had so many operating options and settings, it made my head spin !!!
    Time to reconsider messing with DIGI mdes, I'll just be staying on CW :D

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    KG4LLQ and N7BKV like this.
  2. KG4LLQ

KG4LLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, 7.030 is the "new" CW/QRP watering hole but QRO folks go there too. I've found the range from 7.100 to 7.124 to be good areas for CW/QRP. There's the "Sunrise" CW Net on 7.123 in the mornings and they're nice folks to chat with. When I got my 40 meter "Rock Mite", their "standard" 40 meter crystal was 7.114. In my area (WPa), it seems to be presently clear of any strange digital signals. I guess we'll have to live with digital folks "taking" our CW frequencies. Except for SKCC WeekEnd Sprints, contests and special events, the CW portions of the bands often seem quite dead. I'm afraid this is a harbinger of things to come in North America. God how I wish for the old-days; tubes, coils, heavy transformers, analog meters, knobs, crystals, external VFOs, etc.
    73, Ken

3. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Depending on who you ask or talk to, 7.035 is frequented QRP spot and the old standby. 7.060 is busy in the early afternoons.
    I generally call CQ on .060 most of the time... the 7.110/112 area has been awash with digi past 3 yrs now... gave up on there...
    I remember 7.040 bein unusable for CW way bk when I first learned code 8 or 9 yrs ago! Nothing new there at all...

4. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

In a related topic..... 7050 had a digi mode on it this morning. I know the 'nobody owns a freq' story, but.....

N8AFT likes this.
  5. N8AFT

Encroachment is just that... guess we need to op in their territory more often, too bad they won't be annoyed.

WB5YUZ likes this.
  6. AA4TG

AA4TG Ham Member QRZ Page

FT 4 is often on 7.475 but I have heard them as high as 7.050. For what was suppose to be a "contest mode" , FT 4 is on daily. They are often so strong into south central Virginia that, without some major DSP tuning, they block the ARRL code transmissions. Guess they think that what doesn't bother them doesn't matter.

N8AFT likes this.
  7. N8AFT

I think there's a whole different mind set with these ops. I don't think many, if any, are code savvy....
    Thave no clue what they're doing or who they are QRMing.

N7BKV, WB5YUZ and W1BR like this.
  8. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It just recently occurred to me that the most revolutionary thing about FT 8 and the other weak-signal modes is that they spell doom for listening. People won't be listening when they conduct amateur radio operations anymore; they will just be looking at waterfalls and checking RBN spots and watching the QSOs scroll by.

The audio output (digi-only ops probably call it a "port") has become a vestigial reminder of a prehistoric time.

WW2PT likes this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's wildly outside the 40m ham band. Surely you're mistaken.

Or you're hearing some shortwave digital operation of some sort. I doubt it's FT4 however

Dave
    W7UUU

10. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. I've had the same thought. Seems like those of us who like to operate CW are getting pushed. I've been thinking about disregarding the warbly tones 100 or 200 hz off, narrowing my PBT and calling CQ since CW is allowed everywhere. You're right, it won't bother them, so why not?

N1OOQ likes this.